The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
According to most experienced drop shot fishermen, 6# test fluoro is probably your best option. Recently I've been using 10# test PP as my main line, with a 6# test fluoro leader. Has been working out just fine.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I used to use 8lb. flouro and it worked great. This year I'm using 10lb. braid tied with a minimum of fifteen feet of 8lb. flouro leader. The reason I like at least fifteen feet of leader is that when you get the fish closer to the boat the braid to flouro knot is already on the spool. So your not relying on the knots strength anymore, just the leader. Just in case.

This is the knot I use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVbTIEhAqs&list=PLC423F9D1EBC33036
Slides through the smallest guides with ease.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If your using a dedicated DS setup - 6lb is a probably the most popular test and works well in most instances unless your around heavy cover (weedbeds/trees).

I also DS with a 6'-9" MF baitcaster - provides me the abiltiy to minimze the amount of rods I bring each trip as it's a small crankbait rod so I can fish that rod different ways. On this setup I have 30lb braid spooled and use 10lb or 12lb floro leader in most cases. It works well for me. Only thing to watch is if you use a small hook (say a size 1 gammy) you can't get the knot pulled through the eye to hold the hook out perpendicular with the heavier line.... you may need to use a 1/0 or 2/0 DS hook to pass the line through the eye easily.... I use a 1/0 gammy and that seems like a good balance between small hook and passing the line back through the eye. I also like a 3/8oz weight on this setup. With this setup I have more confidence fishing near weeds or cover that may be a factor after setting the hook.

J.

·
HardCore
1,858 Posts
6#. If you're breaking fish off, your using too stiff a rod or not playing them properly (either lighter drag if relying on it, or learn to backreel and leave the drag tight.) Personally, I backreel and never worry ab out the drag.

A few weeks back though, I committed to using my "grub rod" for back reeling. The grub rod is a little stiffer, and is spooled with 10# Suffix 832 and usually an 8# leader (10# when I use it for stripers and slightly heav ier lures). But I switched to a 6# leader to DS with it Broke off 5 of 12 fish before putting it back down and going back to the DS rod with straight 6#. Put 8# fluoro leader back on it, and used it to fish a grub on a 1/8 oz hedad the rest of the day with no issues. Rod was just a little too stiff for 6#, I guess.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
yup you need a rod with the right tip to fish light line. I use 6 lb. all the time - only seem to break off fish when I've caught too many and didn't re-tie or just being lazy and forcing in too fast. I use 6 lb. reel line - discontinued its a copolymer - also like P line.

Mark

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have 2 spinning and 1 baitcasting, I 6# vanish and 8# vanish both with Fireline main line on the spinning and 14# Fireline with a 12# Vanish leader for heavy weeds and bigger baits.
Rodney

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I just rigged 4 drop shot rigs for next week up to Clayton...
1. 6# sunline Sniper
2. 8" lake fork crappie mono... $1 bargain bin... really nice mono!
3. 6# lake fork crappie mono... $1...
4. 20# braid, tiny swivel, 5ft 10# triple fish flouro leader.
All on various spinning rods... got another caroilina rod with 12# stren saltwater line pink, $1 bargain bin... might give that a whirl with the 10# leader stuff...
when dealing with light lines like 6# test, knots real important, and as a side note, might have a bad batch... had that happen more than once...
I've had problems with smallmouth breaking off in the past... big ones always jumping next to the boat after a deep catch... very frustrating... I think that simker whipping around when they jump doesn't help anything at all...
12# line on spinning reels... everstart back in yellow death boat days, had 2 guys I got paired with, they had 12# floro or 12# flourscent stren on their rods... coiled up like a rodeo rope... they had all sorts of problems... then they proceeded to whack the crap outa the bass while I'm fighting the wind on the trolling motor... both caught there record limits that day... I just shook my head all day...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.