The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw where the drop shot line thread started gearing towards hooks a little so I figured I'd start a new thread to the type of hook(s) that we all prefer for drop shotting.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've used two mainly in the past year:
1. The VMC Spinshot (size 2). For me these seem to prevent line twist a little more but it does require a double knot tying as you need to tye to the top part of the swivel and then another to the bottom part of the swivel for your weight.
2. I've also been using the Gamakatsu drop/splishot hook (size2). I really like these, super sharp get the job done.

Has anybody tried the VMC Sureset Dropshot hooks? I've heard and read that the hooks seem to break.

·
Not so lost...
3,676 Posts
Haven't had any issues with the vmc drops hot hooks. The double knot tying is a pain in the arse. I have noticed that gamagatsu came out with their own version that seems to be a more user friendly design (less knot tying, similar to the DS weight at the bottom of the swivel). I haven't seen them in gander mtn yet but will be picking up a pack to test next time I'm buying.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't had any issues with the vmc drops hot hooks. The double knot tying is a pain in the arse. I have noticed that gamagatsu came out with their own version that seems to be a more user friendly design (less knot tying, similar to the DS weight at the bottom of the swivel). I haven't seen them in gander mtn yet but will be picking up a pack to test next time I'm buying.
I haven't had issues with the spinshots but heard issues with the VMC suresets.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have a few packs of the Spinshot and after trying them , I personally give them the thumbs down....too much time and a pain to retie...I took a suggestion from a few guys here and use a very small swivel....Owner hyper ball swivel or mustad ball swivel.....Alot easier to retie than the VMC for some reason.....IMO, the VMC hook is too loose between the swivel and the bait doesn't hang like I want it to(straight out)

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Tried the VMC spin shot thingie....sharp hook....but too much hassle tying...and I like to retie....so I ditched it .

Ill stick with the Gammy splitshot hook...but do take the time to open up the bend a tad with your pliers....just a tad...it helps..ask Aaron Martens.

For T-rigging, I like the Trokar finesse hooks with the bait keeper....sharp out of the box!

Joe

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
I use Spin SHots for fun/pre fishing, but like joe p said, they take too much time to rig. Add in the fact that you're out on big water, often times the bow is rocking, and it's even more time consuming. The rest of the time, the Gam. slip shot hooks, or Owner mosquito hooks work great. takes two seconds to tie a Palomar, run the tag through, clip on a weight, and drop it over the side. ;)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I use Spin SHots for fun/pre fishing, but like joe p said, they take too much time to rig. Add in the fact that you're out on big water, often times the bow is rocking, and it's even more time consuming. The rest of the time, the Gam. slip shot hooks, or Owner mosquito hooks work great. takes two seconds to tie a Palomar, run the tag through, clip on a weight, and drop it over the side. ;)
Right on!!!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
well I know many like traditional DS hooks - however I use only wide gap size 1 light wire hooks (smallest hook) - never loose any fish. I Texas rig mostly 3" baits, as for hook sets - I just lift up and let the rod tip set the hook.

Mark

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have Gammy hooks and the spinshots. My preference is to clip the swivel off the Spinshots and use just their hook alone. That little sucker is sharp and jumping smallmouths just seem to stay buttoned up better with it. My tourney partner has an incredible talent for losing large drop shot fish and since I started making him use the VMC's with the swivel snipped off tied with a double uni knot (A-Mart style), we are netting a LOT more of his fish.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Ok , I have been secretly trying to make adjustments trying my hand at the drop shot , but that it is a technique that I do not have ready on a rod I hate the time put toward rigging as much I hate line twist . So here is the drop shot rig for my lazy a$$ .
Gamakatsu Swivel Shot G-Finesse Hooks with any crimped eye drop shot weight like the Kanji Tungsten Drop Shot Weights

http://imageshack.us

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've been looking for the just right baitholder hook to try for DS... haven't come up with one yet.

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
I'm still old fashioned and use the Gammy splitshot/dropshot hooks, mainly in the #1 size but also like them down to #4 and up to 1/0. I run a tiny SPRO Power swivel about a foot and a half about the hook.

A quick way to retie I have found.................... Usually the line above the swivel is in great shape, so if I need to retie I cut the line from the swivel down. Then I cut the line about 3 feet above the swivel, flop it around and tie the swivel back to the main line again. This way the tag line below the swivel is already there. Then just tie on the hook and you're done.

·
Registered
590 Posts
When I first tried to DS I used Rich Z's article on it as a source. I used 6# fluro and the Ribster from Lunker city. After ten minutes the twist got so bad I put the rod away. I switche stop a fluro leader and 10# PP. This didn't solve the problem but it made it less of a nuisance. I then retread the article and followed his instructions on hooking the bait. He just barely pokes the hook through the front section. It absolutely works! No twist at all. This means I can use all fluoro and Only have to fuss with one knot.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Joe p knows what's good, size #4-1/0 gammy opened up just a hair.Its a great hook. As far as line twists go you guys should look into how your rigging bait aswell as what bait your throwing. I have done a ton of dropshoting the past three years and have found your problems may lie in you bait choice. I am swivel free since last year and haven't had cast where the line evaporates into a huge mess once this year!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts