The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm two weeks away from my weekly trip at lake George, I started drop shot fishing this year but in shallow water, under 10 FOW. We typically fish 20-40 FOW and was wondering what size weight I should use. We typically use 1/4oz to 3/8 on our tubes

·
Registered
100 Posts
For me, I am not sure you can go with one particular weight. I like it to just be able to get to the bottom and not necessarily drop to the bottom. Everyone fishes a little bit different but I am a finesse type guy and don't want to much weight. All depends on how much wind there is.

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
My smallest drop shot weights are 3/8 oz. Typically, I go heavier. 1/2 oz. is most likely what I'll throw, if I can hold boat position over the target fish. If I'm drifting or strolling, then heavier, as needed to keep the bait on the bottom, up to an ounce.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I do the same as these guys. I'm usually throwing a 1/2oz unless it's windy and I'm struggling with keeping bottom contact, then I go bigger. I also use the pencil style there, it seems like there is less water resistance and they get down quicker. Make sure you are also using a quality sinker with a good swivel, line twist can get out of control pretty quick when fishing 30-40' down.

On George, I also bring a drift sock. It helps you maintain boat control and slow the presentation down so you can maintain bottom contact and keep the bait in the school of fish. Just make sure you pull it back in before you start the big motor. Don't ask me why I know this. My drift sock is now completely covered in duct tape. :laugh:

The times I've fished George this time of year they were all at the thermocline which was 35-40' of water. You would catch the occasional straggler in 45'. Look with your electronics and you will see them. You can also see size of the fish to determine perch or bass, you will know what the bass look like after you have seen both. This is a school of bass that I caught a 3lb smallmouth out of.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yes, but I just can't quite make out the GPS coordinates. Would you mind reposting a clearer image? Kidding of course.
Hah - Pretty sure from reading your blogs that you don't need much help up there. :laugh:

Not sure if you remember, but we met last year briefly at the Saratoga NETB tourney. I was in the green 461vs while you waiting for your trailer at the ramp. I was also fishing pretty close to you when you were trying to get a jump start earlier in the day.

·
Fishing out Loud
227 Posts
Matt,

I remember. Are you fishing NETB this year? I had too many conflicts with my schedule but I will actually be on Lake George the day of the NETB for a club TX. How is your season going so far?

Sean

·
Registered
805 Posts
Tough season so far simply due to time constraints.

Had a kid in May which put the brakes on the opening day tourneys. Managed to get to the Sacandaga tourney for NETB and got 8th, and then last week I got a job offer to relocate to Chicago so I've been scrambling to get the house listed and wasn't able to make it to Oneida. With any luck once I get the house listed I might be able to hit up a few opens on Champlain, but the rest of the season doesn't look good to be honest.

I'm going to miss NY fishing for the next few years until I get back, but I will be within weekend trip distance of St. Clair, Sturgeon Bay, and a handful of other pretty good locations out there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your replies and tips, I picked up a bunch of 1/2 and 5/8. I cannot wait, it's been over a month since I've been fishing. We normally go to LG last week of June, this is the first time fishing the lake this late, might take some adjusting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.