The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use mostly shimano curados and chronarchs..I have 51e's and 201e's..

This leads to my question..the last few times I was out on the water..I noticed the strength of my drag weakening on my curado 201e..even if I have the drag pinned, I can still peel off line rather easily..I also fished in a good rain storm last week..if that helps any..I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or had any suggestions on what I could do to fix this issue..?

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I'm guessing you have braid tied on . It may be you spooled your reel too loosely , your knot around the spool may not have been tightly enough cinched to the spool. Try backing it on to an empty spool or empty bathroom tissue roll put on a drill chuck , will help spooling the reel quickly . Then respool the reel . The line over the top of the spool and through the reel guide going under the reel spool tying then tying the knot .As you are reeling up to fill the reel add pressure to the line with your thumb and index finger on the hand the reel is in or pass the line through the middle pages of a heavy book to give tension on the line not to spool the reel too loosely .

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
Did you use some mono backing for the braid? If not, the braid is slipping on the arbor, and not the drag. Very common issue. Respool, and use some old mono as a backer or wrap the spool with some electrical tape to keep the braid from slipping.

·
Weights&Measures
2,196 Posts
Your stock drag washers probably got contaminated with water, leading to damage. This happened to me on almost all of my reels from fishing in rain. Like John said get some carbontex

·
Premium Member
8,124 Posts
This a common issue with water infiltration. The water breaks down the grease which penetrates into the drag stack. IMPORTANT: Make sure you clean the drive gear and key washer with acetone or naphtha prior to installing the new drag washers.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This a common issue with water infiltration. The water breaks down the grease which penetrates into the drag stack. IMPORTANT: Make sure you clean the drive gear and key washer with acetone or naphtha prior to installing the new drag washers.
thanks Ronnie..much appreciated..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts