The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to North Carolina this weekend and got a chance to fish a private golf couse. My parents were buying a condo in Calabash(about 10 minutes from Myrtle beach SC) and were talking to the salesman when he mentioned bass fishing. My parents told him that I loved to fish. He told me that I could fish any of the water traps on the golf course(as the condo was located on a golf resort) He then told me how some of the traps have lots of bass in them with some in the five to seven pound range! He also told me of a trap that has had an 11 lb bass taken from it 2 or 3 times and at this point my parents had already bought the condo so I beleived him. I got my rod and reel and my tackle box and began to fish one of the trap while my parents were ironing out the details in the office.

The saleman told me worms work the best on the traps so I whipped out a black blue yum dinger(Senko copy) and threw it out there. I was fishing for about half an hour when I started to get a little discouraged or thinking that maybe he lied or exagerrated because at this point I had not had a hit and he had said that the fish bite preety readiy. As I began to reel in I saw my line get tight in only the way a real bass fisherman knows there is a fish on and swung hard. Fish on! I got him to shore and he was a nice 2.5 lber. Then I cast out again and my line took off from an agressive hit and set again only to find that this bass was stronger and after a small battle got him and he was 3.8lbs!
I moved around the trap and proceded to catch three more bass between 1.5 lbs and 2.5 lbs. All fish were caught in less than an hour and were good fighters. I'd like to tell you that I caught the 11 lber and some bass in the 5 to 7lb range but it wasn't so with the little time I had to fish. The good thing is now my parents own property there so whenever I go down to NC I can try to set the hook on some pigs!

By the way, all the bass were healthy looking but very pale and kind of silvery looking. Is this a characteristic of Florida bass because none of the bass I have caught in NY really looked like this. I don't know if they were Floridas or not. - Joe

·
VOODOO CHILE
1,022 Posts
Golf course Bass

Joe,
Different colored bass that are caught in golf courses are usually that way because of the dyes they put in the water to make it always look pretty.
Fished a private lake in CA with my Bro that was surrounded by homes and they lake owners dyed it Blue.Every bass was a very cool tinted blue,kinda silvery like yours though...><>...HS

·
Wishin' I'm Fishin'
18,645 Posts
Joe,
First off, congratulations on your new bass-fishing holes, and your recent catches there. May you find huge happiness [and Bass] there. I had a similar fun time at Hilton head Island, in the Sea Pines development there, catching some beauties myself. Watck out for Gators, tho.....
Secondly, I do NOT think they were Florida Strain Lms, as I don't think[not KNOW} they are that far north, but am not certain. I am not sure where they stop thriving going Northbound.....
I KNOW Florida has them, I KNOW Texas has them, and I KNOW California has them...others I am not sure about myself.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Bass are somewhat chameleon like and my guess would be a white sandy bottom of a pond could turn a bass that silvery color.

Florida strain bass (just like our northern bass) come in many variations of light and dark depending on their surroundings.

I have a friend down in Florida who lives in a condo with a lot of small man-made ponds. They hold some kick ass bass!! It amazed the heck outta me..... Story is they're all connected by under ground canals which the bass move through. Something to do with irrigation and drainage.

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
great story Joe......as others pointed out, those could be real fun waters.......

I used to fish a couple of ponds on Golf courses in the Catskills when I first started fishing for bass......they were just loaded with fish!!

·
Pro Guide
574 Posts
color and type

The color of the bass, (degree of pigment levels), is in direct relationship to the clarity of the water and the type of bottom. Take a light bass and put it in dark waters and within few days it will darken and vice versa.

There are no true Florida strain bass much north of Orlando. Even that is pushing it. What is located there and north is what is known as an intergrade or "F1", which is a cross between the Florida strain and the NA Bass. As you move northward they become pure NA Bass.

·
HiYa Kids HiYa HiYa
862 Posts
Joe, being a former and also part time Wilmington NC resident I can give you a few other areas. Greenfield Lake, Black River (an off shoot of the cape fear river)
Cape Fear river below lock and dam #1
any and all ponds in Brunswick County (That is the county that Calabash is in) There is a very large lake off 421 where professional tounaments are held, unfortuneatly I am haviing a brain fart and can't remember the exact name. It's man made for cooling the CP&L plant or GE I forgot which one. As i come up with more info I will let you know. BTW Cape Fear river has HUGE catfish 40# and up.
Barry

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Those golf course water hole bass ARE a load of fun to catch and they get pretty big too. They are also aggressive as they are not pressured the way that public water bass can be. I used to fish a series of water hole lakes on a golf course in Mississippi and catching 40-60 fish that were 2lbs and up was common. Boy I miss those days!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
New Olympic sport

Joe
Your report gave me a idea for a new sport A golf-bass fishing combo. Play a hole, fish a hole. Sort of like the ski & shooting event in the Olympics. " Caddy, what do you think about this hole, should I use my Crank bait on the 12 LB test or my Senko on the 6 LB.":D
Tim

·
HiYa Kids HiYa HiYa
862 Posts
I think I remember now

Sutphin Lake

1 - 10 of 10 Posts