The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
lurecrafter
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about low bass counts on NYC reservoirs and know many anglers that will only fish for bass as a rule, but there are many fish species in most waters that strike lures. As for myself, I like the challenge of discovering different lure designs: shapes/actions and in different sizes fish hit.

Some anglers go ice fishing and must downsize unless they only use tip-ups and live bait. I never use live bait but always downsize in order to catch most species and especially fish that can get quite large - including a 7 lb catfish caught a few years back.

All predator fish strike lures of one kind or another but, IMO, not to feed. Most lure designs look nor move like any prey animal yet cause fish to lose it and pound them. The lighter the tackle the greater the effect when fish are on, even those considered sissy fish such as panfish. Most important are the numbers that can be racked up in a day that may even include bass. Most days I have the opportunity of catching 4 to 5 fish species and rack up numbers of over 50 fish and with a partner - over 100.

As I said, there are crossover lure designs that catch most fish in a lake or river and as for myself, I'd just as soon be busy unhooking fish after wondering what just took my lure than go fishless hour after hour. Considering the size of panfish down south, it's no wonder they're so popular to catch either for sport or eat though in my case to confirm what designs do best and possibly the reasons fish strike lures in general.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like to fish for northern pike. You can use the same bass lures and setups for them. They fight harder than bass.

·
Let the fish be with you
13,838 Posts
Lure designs are generally for gamefish & MOST of our NYC Reservoirs only have Bass, trout & pickerel as far as gamefish go. Pickerel eat just about everything, but trout are a lot more fussy. So your really talking about a great variety of lures for Bass. As to the low counts of Bass being caught, that`s primarily an ecological change problem. Due to pollution from the many more homes/lawns/ septic systems/ swimming pools etc, surrounding our reservoirs today, our lakes have changed for the worse. Clean clear water & great milfoil weedbeds are becoming more & more a thing of the past. That & the harvesting of the reduced population of Bass for illegal sales to fish markets have further hurt the fishing. Allowing fish farming for Bass in NYS is the #1 cause of people taking these gamefish in illegal amounts & also in closed seasons & selling them to fish markets for a hefty profit. Add in that there is relatively no DEC or DEP policing, & the perpetrators have a free reign.
So, having new lure designs might be fun to do, but the fish catching will not improve until the two problems I mentioned are addressed & taken care of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did bass tournaments for years. It started to get monotonous. And wasnt having fun anymore. Love my spring crappies. Sold my bass boat. Now i have a boat on lake ontario. So went on a ttl flip now spend my spring chasing browns and the rest of year chasing salmon. Am i done with competition fishing?? No ill be back. Needed a break and relax!

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,656 Posts
I did bass tournaments for years. It started to get monotonous. And wasnt having fun anymore. Love my spring crappies. Sold my bass boat. Now i have a boat on lake ontario. So went on a ttl flip now spend my spring chasing browns and the rest of year chasing salmon. Am i done with competition fishing?? No ill be back. Needed a break and relax!
glad to see that you simply re-directed your fishing ways, instead of giving it up altogether....

·
Administrator
21,656 Posts
Lure designs are generally for gamefish & MOST of our NYC Reservoirs only have Bass, trout & pickerel as far as gamefish go. Pickerel eat just about everything, but trout are a lot more fussy. So your really talking about a great variety of lures for Bass. As to the low counts of Bass being caught, that`s primarily an ecological change problem. Due to pollution from the many more homes/lawns/ septic systems/ swimming pools etc, surrounding our reservoirs today, our lakes have changed for the worse. Clean clear water & great milfoil weedbeds are becoming more & more a thing of the past. That & the harvesting of the reduced population of Bass for illegal sales to fish markets have further hurt the fishing. Allowing fish farming for Bass in NYS is the #1 cause of people taking these gamefish in illegal amounts & also in closed seasons & selling them to fish markets for a hefty profit. Add in that there is relatively no DEC or DEP policing, & the perpetrators have a free reign.
So, having new lure designs might be fun to do, but the fish catching will not improve until the two problems I mentioned are addressed & taken care of.
Marty: as we all know, it is hopeless to think that anything definitive will be done about this problem, as they simply don't have the combination of manpower AND desire to truly tackle it...

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Whereabouts on Lake Ontario are you? I love hitting Ontario in the Spring for the browns as well.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
My father, brother and son do an annual trip to Lake Ontario for Spring browns around the Mexico area. When we get a chance we'll also target some kings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whereabouts on Lake Ontario are you? I love hitting Ontario in the Spring for the browns as well.
I have my boat at mikes marina in Mexico.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya my friends from work are across the creek from you the brown and white penn yan. Im 85% in front of catfish plant area most of the summer.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Ya my friends from work are across the creek from you the brown and white penn yan. Im 85% in front of catfish plant area most of the summer.
Great fishing out in front of catfish and the cliffs.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My primary focus is on smallies. But I will fish for anythiing that puts a tug in my line. Going back up to Thousand Islands this June to hopefully get my PB smallie. Last year we caught a bunch of pike and huge perch and a few smallies, sometimes you have to take what the conditions give you (20-25 mph winds with gusts to 35) but we still had a great time! Years ago I fished Tx's, now as a recreational angler I have small boat enjoy the sport more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts