The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with Lt. Miceli of the NYCDEP today about an ongoing poaching problem surrounding our Reservoirs. They have heard about the problem concerning the taking & selling of Largemouth Bass from our Reservoirs. They promise to have more Police out & checking for law breakers, but would like an assist from us. I told him of instances where the Police were called & they didn`t respond. He is going to try & fix that. He said sometimes they are spread very thin & just can`t get to an incident on time. That shouldn`t stop us from reporting it though. If you see anything going on that deserves their attention like "Fisherman" taking LIVE BASS in aerated livewells from the Reservoirs, or any other suspicious activity please call the DEP Police at (914) 593-7500.
We & they are particularly concerned about the illegal transport of Live Black Bass to be sold (illegally). Ever since( & probably forever) that Black Bass can now be harvested commercially, we will have a problem with illegal sales to fish markets. It was done before commercial raising of Black Bass was allowed, so you can be sure that it`s now easier to do, that it will continue. You can help out with a vehicle description & a license plate number. If you don`t have a pen & pencil, take a picture with your cell phone.
If you can contact the Police when it`s happening, hopefully they will get there on time to arrest the perps. Please call them if you see anybody doing anything wrong. Littering is also a problem to be concerned with. I think that just about any of us don`t much care for the slobs that are always dumping there left over lunches & bottles around. A couple of hefty fines will get the word around.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts