The New York Bass Forums banner

Delaware River fishing with senkos, what to buy?

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Special K 
#1 ·
Hey guys hoping someone can give me some tips. I'm going to be wading in the Delaware River at Callicoon soon. I want to use Senkos to fish for Smallies and hopefully Walleye. It is extremely rocky all along the bottom, full of snags. The water was moving pretty good through there from what I remember. Last time I was there I was using live Minnows, and had a weight, and was getting snags. So I want to do the Senko thing this time.

Anyone have insight on what I should buy for this situation? Wacky or Texas rig? What size Senko 3 inch or 4 inch? Use o-ring if wacky right? Should I use wacky weedless to avoid snags on rocks or would I be fine without that? weighted or unweighted?

Any tips much appreciated, thanks

#3 ·
I offer what I know, I have been fishing the Delaware for 30 yrs from Callicoon all the way down to Easton Pa. Up in Callicoon, the water is much cooler than down stream. If you are going to use a Senko, I use a 4" slim with a o-ring. If the water is moving swiftly a nail style weight 1/8 th in the middle will help. What has become very productive over the last few years is the Ned rig 1/10 oz with green pumpkin TRD, but what I fund really shines in current is a TRD Tubez on a 1/10 oz head in Drews Craw color, let it tumble in the current it drives smallies crazy. Also my personal favorite is a 4" Hula Stik ona 1/10 TRD shroom finesse head. Sorry, can't help much with marble eyes, I always target smallies. I have accidentally caught some walleyes on suspending Jerkbaits and cranks at times. The 1/10 oz head should keep you just above the rocks to avoid snags. I hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

#4 ·
appreciate the insight Special K.

So of those options, you like the 4" Hula Stik ona 1/10 TRD shroom finesse head the most? Which colors for these? Drews craw for hula and green pumpkin for jighead?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.