The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were supposed to do our annual Delaware float trip a week ago Thurs. On our way up our guide called and advised they got alomost 2"s of rain overnoght and that the sections of the river we were supposed to fish were running extremely high and the water was like chocolate milk. He tried further down river two other spots thinking possibly the water didn't make down that far yet no luck. Lond story short we never got to the flaot the river. He offered, he would get his bass boat vs the float boat and fish one of the reservoirs up there. Of course we agreed, getting a line wet vs not fishing was a no brainer. e ended up fishing the Swinging Bridge Res. The weather was overcast cast sopotty heavy drizzle, water was heavily stained. We fished from 10 am until 5:30 Pm. I caught about a dozen fish, my friend had a couple. My fish were a mix of LMB and SMB all about 2 to 3 lbs. Our guide caught nice 8lb walleye. I caught all my fish on on a Ned rig with a TRD Finnese and the other Ned Rigged 4" Hula Stick ( I have been catching nice fish on this all season) Overall we made lemonade form lemons. The one cove we were in had an eagles nest, so we had eagles overhead all day, we saw some nice deer, 2 6 pointers and one nice 8 still in velvet. Here are some photos. Thanks for reading.
Water Sky Cloud Lake Sleeve
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Lake
Water Boat Cloud Sky Vertebrate

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
You made right choice Ed.....

I hit the Delaware with my friend on Kayaks that Friday (20th) - we had taken off to do it - so we were were going unless it was pouring/very dangerous, at worst we both agreed we'd just enjoy the trip down the river even if we couldn't fish alot. We had the river to ourselves which was nice, but it wasn't great for fishing - saw 13 Eagles including 2 that ripped fish out of the water so that was cool!!.

Issue was same as your guide warned... the water was still up, muddy and maybe even more importantly - the discharge was still up/fast which sucks fishing on kayaks. We had been monitoring the river level / speed all week and your guide was right - that Wed night the rain lifted the river over a foot and discharge 2-3x normal speed. We still caught a bunch of fish (mostly dinks and BIG sunfish) - but had to tuck into the little pools on the edges to get out of the heavy current.

If your interested I use the site below to monitor the river.... what is great is the history as well.... so if you had a good day (level and speed) you can look at what it was then compare. What I've noticed is that it takes about 12 hours after a storm for the river to respond (go up and pick up) as the tributaries empty into it. It then usually flushes through and goes back to "normal" in about 24hrs. That week - Wed heavy rain - Thursday it speed up - and just as it started coming down in the AM on Friday - it picked up again from more minor storms in NY/NJ... which screwed us.

You can change the location - I use Lackawaxen/Barryville as we fish just above that (Tusten to Zane Grey). I found our best day water level was 1.5 feet and about 1500 discharge... look at last week with the "hurricane" - river was up to 8 foot and discharge 17000... that's white water rafting time!!!!

J.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You made right choice Ed.....

I hit the Delaware with my friend on Kayaks that Friday (20th) - we had taken off to do it - so we were were going unless it was pouring/very dangerous, at worst we both agreed we'd just enjoy the trip down the river even if we couldn't fish alot. We had the river to ourselves which was nice, but it wasn't great for fishing - saw 13 Eagles including 2 that ripped fish out of the water so that was cool!!.

Issue was same as your guide warned... the water was still up, muddy and maybe even more importantly - the discharge was still up/fast which sucks fishing on kayaks. We had been monitoring the river level / speed all week and your guide was right - that Wed night the rain lifted the river over a foot and discharge 2-3x normal speed. We still caught a bunch of fish (mostly dinks and BIG sunfish) - but had to tuck into the little pools on the edges to get out of the heavy current.

If your interested I use the site below to monitor the river.... what is great is the history as well.... so if you had a good day (level and speed) you can look at what it was then compare. What I've noticed is that it takes about 12 hours after a storm for the river to respond (go up and pick up) as the tributaries empty into it. It then usually flushes through and goes back to "normal" in about 24hrs. That week - Wed heavy rain - Thursday it speed up - and just as it started coming down in the AM on Friday - it picked up again from more minor storms in NY/NJ... which screwed us.

You can change the location - I use Lackawaxen/Barryville as we fish just above that (Tusten to Zane Grey). I found our best day water level was 1.5 feet and about 1500 discharge... look at last week with the "hurricane" - river was up to 8 foot and discharge 17000... that's white water rafting time!!!!

J.
Thanks Slowfish, I have used that site in the past in conjunction with Accu Weather radar. At least you caught some fish. I have been fishing the river for 27 years, I have been on the water with rain where we virtually watched both shores meet in the middle for mud. THursday all the tributaries we saw where chocolate milk emptying into the river.Never had a good day under those conditions. I have found to get the river down to normal crystal clear conditions takes at least 24-48 hrs. Looking forward to next year. I make take my boat up in Sept and go out of Narrowsburg I can fish about a 1/2 mile up and down stream and have done very well in that area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts