The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
A good rule of thumb is Stained water = dark contrasting colors, and Clear water = match the hatch.

I fish lakes where the forage is mainly blue gill, so I either use strikeking's 6XD blue gill or chartruese/blue back.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
White with a black back

Gold with a black back

silver with a black back

Or Ghost Minnow.

All 4 above will catch fish in ANY water conditions, in any lakes. I have put more 6lbers + in the boat with any of the 4 from above and I crank 15'+. Mostly around the 15-23' mark depending on what lake I am on. Strike king 6xd's are nice, but there is no comparison to the lucky craft D20's.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
if you are serious about deep cranking and really want to get the benefit from it, Yes a dedicated Cranking rod and reel makes the world of a difference. Deep cranking rods are designed to load and hook the fish themselves. This is critical for deep cranks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never really used a crankbait much, but it seems there's been a lot of threads lately of producing big fish. I'm not sure actually how often I will be fishing a lake where I would need to go this deep, so a rod that could handle the 3xd 4xd or general purpose crankbait rod might be wiser buy for me.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I've never really used a crankbait much, but it seems there's been a lot of threads lately of producing big fish. I'm not sure actually how often I will be fishing a lake where I would need to go this deep, so a rod that could handle the 3xd 4xd or general purpose crankbait rod might be wiser buy for me.
the 3,4 and 5xd's you can throw on a regular Medium heavy rod.

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
it sounds to me that you need some basic learning in cranking technique: there are great books and many videos on this that can get you in the right direction...

you need to do a little homework, amigo....

and I agree with one of the other repliers: where you fish has a lot to do with what you might or might not crank.....the more you give on here the more you get.....

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
In the norman baits, go with the lavender sunshine color( white purple back) also get the chart sunshine color ( chart with green back). Strike king has similar colors. Manns 20+ a nice bait the fish haven't seen much... keep your colors along those lines and your all set.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for tips everyone. I have a luna 253. thinking of buying the veritas winch 7'6 mh for 70 $ seems like a good deal. I think the reel might be a bit big for that rod though. I'd really like to find full cork handle something closer to 8 feet to balance the luna better but hard to find anything under 100 besides the bps rod. Maybe the st croix premier.

Sorry I haven't really formally introduced myself yet . I'm planing to do this soon in main forum possibly with a mini report if I can get out soon. Unfortunately I've gotten skunked twice in a row last times out and decided I need to broaden my arsenal. I've usually just gotten by throwing Texas Riggs with good success but not lately. I live in New Hamburg usually fish wappingers lake(skunky), and the wappingers creek(usually do well here) some private ponds in Putnam, and over in Harriman once in a while.
In addition to this crankbait setup I'm trying to find, I have the following
Conquest 51 / loomis 803 glx - fat Ikas and jigs
Calcutta 101d/ loomis 783 2pc - travel fat Ikas
Coming soon curado 201e7 / 13 omen 7'3 H - frogs/big worms/big jigs
Also have fen wick elite twch 6'10 mf that doesn't have a reel- maybe top water or lighter cranks
Luna 253/ looking for rod - crankbait

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I snapped a Veritas inhalf by flipping a small 2lb smallie into the boat.

It was a good rod, until then.

Then the following week I snapped a Vendetta inhalf, doing the same thing.

Now I have all Halo's and I cant say enough about them. Twice the rods, then any Abu was.

Halo makes a Fantastic deep cranking rod for only $130....and its actually a deep cranking rod. Not just a rod that is called a cranking rod like half the other companys do.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Halo_Fishing_Series_Cranking_Rods/descpage-DMCCC.html

However, Rapsody, a site sponsor has fantastic rods as well and alot of people on this forum use them. I do not know if they have a actual deep cranking rod yet. Bass Jones or Cus will know the answer to this.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Skeeter SS... I think you may have it backwards, your Abu rods became twice the rods you once had.

As to colors of deep diving crankbaits... keep at least one firetiger colored bait in the mix and throw it when your other colors aren't working.

oe

·
angler
2,275 Posts
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.....works every time!
:laugh:

Wiggle and depth is more important than color any day! Color preference is like any other lure variable - you like it, you cast it! Pearl with dark back is my favorite, but I've caught bass on red coach dog - even in Wappinger Creek, just upstream from the trestle. (Haven't fished there in years probably because of the thick chestnut, making it really tough in summer. I should go back in late fall and next spring since I only live 25 minutes from there. Have caught some nice creek smallies and LM in the past !)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:laugh:

Wiggle and depth is more important than color any day! Color preference is like any other lure variable - you like it, you cast it! Pearl with dark back is my favorite, but I've caught bass on red coach dog - even in Wappinger Creek, just upstream from the trestle. (Haven't fished there in years probably because of the thick chestnut, making it really tough in summer. I should go back in late fall and next spring since I only live 25 minutes from there. Have caught some nice creek smallies and LM in the past !)
Yes the creek is nice and I have that place pretty figured out .although I haven't taken the boat there yet this year, I've been walking over there from my house about twice a week having success with fat ika with smallish smallmouths. Its great in the fall last year with bunch 2lb small mouth and couple 3.5 largies. Let me know if you want to head out there I know couple hood spots. I have a small watertender boat that might work for 2 i dunno usally fish solo.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would get a couple of Firetiger, some sort of bone or pearl and some with a bit of chartreuse, orange belly works at times. Personally I use a composite rod not fiberglass and I'm in good company, read what the top procrankers use and why, it can be eye opening, KVD uses composite rods and he is one of the best. There are many good rods out there and good reels, get your reels with lots of line capacity, makes the long casts needed easier.
Rodney

·
angler
2,275 Posts
... or I could bring my V-bottom and we could fish tandem, share stories. Timing the tides for fish location is essential I'm sure you already know. Thank God for the upgraded sewage plant - that place was getting kind a stinky and gross!!! I couldn't believe people ate fish from there before the upgrade!

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
if you are serious about deep cranking and really want to get the benefit from it, Yes a dedicated Cranking rod and reel makes the world of a difference. Deep cranking rods are designed to load and hook the fish themselves. This is critical for deep cranks.
I did some digging around and I have to ask now, what is considered a "Cranking reel"? Gear ratio? Spinner/caster? If you can, list some examples so I have a point of refference.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I might just start off slow and get the SK's before I go all out and get a few D20's lol. great advice!

·
Registered
339 Posts
As the water gets deeper, color dissipates. Red is the first color to look "gray" between 15 and 20 feet. Brown is next at about 35 feet. Green, blue, purple are good for 60 feet or so. I think water conditions-clear or dirty are important. Definitely get a crankbait rod. I think fiberglass or a composite is a way to go. I have a Rhapsody, "Crank It Up". Nice and stout. Add a 5.0 speed casting reel, and you are set.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts