The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approximately how long does it take to build a seven foot spinning rod? How much should one expect to pay for a custom built spinning rod? Any recommendation as to builders?

·
Registered
241 Posts
A very good CT builder is Ray Zarychta. He built me two spiral wrapped cranking rods last year and they held up pretty good. I think his e-mail is:
[email protected]
He hangs out quite a bit on Curt Snow's site, www.northeastbass.com

If you don't mind going bigger $$$, there are some outstanding bulders on the BFHP, which I am sure you know about already. I have personally dealt with Rich Forhan and Brad Tharp and been very pleased with both. My buddy, Mike Briglia (a.k.a. HuskyBass), swears by Danco on the BFHP. The thing I found is that once you go custom built, it is very hard to go back to a factory rod!! :D

If you need more help just PM me,
Scott Bennard

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
I've built rods in about 2 days time. If you want to do it faster, a day is about all the time you really need if you are only doing one at a time. Price is dependant on materials, components etc.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh yah, back to the first question you had. *LOL* I would say it should be about a 5 week process depending on who builds it, how busy they are at the time and availability of the materials you want to use (i.e. blank, guides and handle). I just got a Forhan built 7' spinning rod last week. It is SWEET. I had it built with split grip tennessee handle on a Graphite USA DHX703 blank, Rich's top-selling blank for senkos and flukes. Another VERY popular tube rod blank is the Shikari SHX PP704, that will be my next rod, but I think I will have it built as a baitcaster revolver rod style!! A rod of this type should be around $200. Trust me though, shop around and do some homework. A great point of contact is George Roth, Ballou, from BFHP. Between him, Rich and Danco they can tell you pretty much ANYTHING you could possibly wanna know about blanks and custom rods.
Good luck and it is worth the trouble, trust me.
Scott Bennard

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scottb

I'm new to the forum and am unfamiliar with your reference to BFHP. I could have some interest in a custom built and would like to start a conversation.

Thank you

Peteskan

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh, I am sorry about that. I was refering to the Bass Fishing Home Page. It's URL is:

www.wmi.org/bassfish

That is where I meet John G a few years back on the fishing reports board. Just go to the rod and reels board on there and there is literally a pleothera of rod builder info there. I got my first few custom-built rods from guys off of there and could not be more pleased.
Good luck, ScottB

·
Registered
242 Posts
I used to build them...only high end stuff though. I only charged $40 plus materials, and I put about 5 hours into each rod. Not much profit, but I really enjoyed it. One of the big adavantages other than customizing components is that the spline is always aligned...something you don't get with factory rods.

Seth

·
8,124 Posts
Scottb said:
A great point of contact is George Roth, Ballou, from BFHP. Between him, Rich and Danco they can tell you pretty much ANYTHING you could possibly wanna know about blanks and custom rods.
I agree with Scott, these guys are the premier rod builders. You can't go wrong with any of them, especially Rich Forhan.

Ronnie

·
Registered
526 Posts
I talked to George (Ballou) on the phone several times...Very nice guy...An education for me ,to say the least...

I have heard the same myth about custom rods...Once you go that way, you never go back...Thats why i have resisted til now...Im afraid that if I custom everything, I'll lose my shirt and get spoiled to boot...lol

mark d

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
basserachi said:
II have heard the same myth about custom rods...Once you go that way, you never go back...Thats why i have resisted til now...Im afraid that if I custom everything, I'll lose my shirt and get spoiled to boot...lol

mark d
\
Welcome to the dark side .......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts