The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm headed out later in the day and have NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT WITH THIS WEATHER!!??? Fishing has been slow in general for me on the NY Reservoirs, so my expectations arent that high right now.

I imagine some fish may be shallow in the cooler waters that will hopefully be oxygenated by the wind and potential rain today.
What do you guys know of or expect on a cold day after it's been hot in the summer?

All help greatly appreciated.
KLunker18

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
They could move in shallow. Last week I had a bad day and the bait fish were everywhere shallow but not one bass shallow. I would try shade, under tree limbs and weeds first and then go deeper. Later evening could be key. I have been having lots of luck on swim jigs. I have been starting out really slow but got some on a really hot daw fishing it fast. I think it was more of a hit them on the head day.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
True. I fished a va mountain lake and caught big bass shallow on a 90+ hot day, mid day. That water never gets out of the mid 70s. Never caught bass deep there.

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
Its been SUPER TOUGH last few weeks on Long Island.... no matter the approach and presentation, most places are just "dead"... Even a night fishing trip had 0 results...

With the weather this cool and it being 50 degrees at night, would the lakes be turning over? Or it just shuts everything down. Like Troy said, one place had thousands of fry everywhere but nothing chasing them. 12 hours of fishing between 3 different lakes on Sunday and only hooked and lost 1 dink...

Maybe things will improve when the heat comes back Weds/THurs??? We can only pray!!!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I did good on LI Saturday even with blue skys. Yesterday only got 3 with the weather change. Water temps really went down. Lost a pig dropping a wacky senko in an old sunken duck blind. Even with the bright sun Saturday they were completely put in the sun. I'm guessing to get warm

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
fishing has been tough. I spent 12 hours on the water yesterday and I was only able to put a pattern together later in the afternoon, when the bass turned up where they SHOULD have been.

I was getting most of the bass deep yesterday, just in bare bones open water. Weird. Not near ANY type of structure. Just wide open, flat bottom. Slow presentation. 1/2oz football jig, hopping on the bottom between 12-15' of water.

pitching in the deep outside weed pockets produced fish later in the afternoon....this did not work for most of the day.

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Klunker, Generally speaking it means a little less than nothing. When they bite they bite. You`ll get 20 different answers contradicting each other, which should tell you that nobody can predict anything. When things get tough, I like to fish reactionaery baits, generally in shallower water.
Try a heavy Jig in 2-3 ft of water or rip a crankbait thru some shallow weeds. Somewhere in the shallows a good fish will say hello.

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Klunker, Generally speaking it means a little less than nothing. When they bite they bite. You`ll get 20 different answers contradicting each other, which should tell you that nobody can predict anything. When things get tough, I like to fish reactionaery baits, generally in shallower water.
Try a heavy Jig in 2-3 ft of water or rip a crankbait thru some shallow weeds. Somewhere in the shallows a good fish will say hello.
I have already found this true...this was originally posted a month ago and was just reignited. THere have been a few warm trends ending in cold since...and i have had varied results.
...from what i have seen, it can lead to a good bite or two shallows. What i have really found that right now is a tough time on the NY ressies!! i got worked for just a few dinks with Zipper friday night from 6-11pm. We covered a TON of water.

We also found that DEP clears laydown trees out of the water near their launch. there should be a great series of laydowns in the SW corner of K...guess they need to clear room so they can shoot their fireworks off at night closer to shore..what a waste of $$ going on there...

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Its been SUPER TOUGH last few weeks on Long Island.... no matter the approach and presentation, most places are just "dead"... Even a night fishing trip had 0 results...

With the weather this cool and it being 50 degrees at night, would the lakes be turning over? Or it just shuts everything down. Like Troy said, one place had thousands of fry everywhere but nothing chasing them. 12 hours of fishing between 3 different lakes on Sunday and only hooked and lost 1 dink...

Maybe things will improve when the heat comes back Weds/THurs??? We can only pray!!!
Lakes don't turn over until the water gets 32-35*...and even then only lakes with Thermonoclines turn over. Most long island lakes never turn over.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
90% of my big fish and even on 90+ days were on jigs in shallow water. I think I love that bite better than top water now. Tap, tap, wham!

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
I dunno... last few days were depressing for a shore line guy like me. Tonight there was a few bites which felt good. One hit a frog twice in a row on 2 casts- lost him on the fight :/
My buddy got one on a spook on the weed line and on my last cast I tied on a senko cause I think they are finally on to us and the creature baits and nailed a decent 1 pounder. Lets see how the full moon tuesday night plays out.

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Fish fast, but fish slow.

Stop fishing dead water. In other words, fish your go-to or productive spots and fish them thoroughly.

well...it should work..in theory, anyway.....LOL

Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.