The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello NYBass.com!

Old friend visiting. Maybe some of you remember me as Frank J the founder of the site back in the early 90s. I was looking to fish this Sunday during my visit and I was hoping to get some information on any good fishing on Long Island lakes or ponds.

Land or by boat (if they have rentals of course)

Thank you and hope everyone is doing well!

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
hey there Buddy! hope your life has gone very well indeed....wish I could help you out, but we need the LI boys for this one...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey there Buddy! hope your life has gone very well indeed....wish I could help you out, but we need the LI boys for this one...
Life has been good, no complaints.. I am living in the Mid-West now in the western suburbs of Chicago. Moved from Vegas in 2007. How you doing John?

·
Herring Lumberjack
117 Posts
Of the bodies of water where it's currently legal for C&R Blydenburgh would be the most productive. If you have access to a kayak or waders, blue whale prophylactics, etc... there are a few points that have been productive but it's a decreasing fishery. If you're not terribly selective the pickerel in Patchogue Lake have been binging (flukes, wacky rigged brush hogs, twin tail grubs on 1/8 oz. jigs). Personally, I'd molest the salt and rent a boat (Silly Lilly in Moriches or any other south shore station). The weakfish are appearing in numbers for the first time since the Clinton administration, the bluefish are thick enough to pull a Nazarene party trick and fluke season opens on Sunday. Watch a few John Skinner videos on Youtube if you need a refresher.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Of the bodies of water where it's currently legal for C&R Blydenburgh would be the most productive. If you have access to a kayak or waders, blue whale prophylactics, etc... there are a few points that have been productive but it's a decreasing fishery. If you're not terribly selective the pickerel in Patchogue Lake have been binging (flukes, wacky rigged brush hogs, twin tail grubs on 1/8 oz. jigs). Personally, I'd molest the salt and rent a boat (Silly Lilly in Moriches or any other south shore station). The weakfish are appearing in numbers for the first time since the Clinton administration, the bluefish are thick enough to pull a Nazarene party trick and fluke season opens on Sunday. Watch a few John Skinner videos on Youtube if you need a refresher.
Yup..that's about got it covered..lol..good advice
If u feel like jumping on a boat in riverhead sometime Sunday drop me a pm

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can't fish for bass in Nassau County until the first saturday in June. Was doing okay until the season ended, Suffolk has some life (+1 for Blydenburgh).

Definitely agree that you should hit the salt. I've been nailing 8-10+ lbs blues on small diamond jigs in the back bays from boat and from jettys. The big stripers that were in NJ the past few weeks should be here any day now. This is the time of year where 99% of my attention is on the salt, and for good reason.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree the salt is good. But if you don't mind putting on the waders. And walking through branches and the occasional snapping turtle. I fished Grant pond in Hewlit last Saturday. Not a big pond and can be worked in a half day. Also its a rocky bottom so you can fish it fast and not worry about taking foliage off your lure. And the fish are hitting now too. The long cold winter had most of the ponds frozen over till last week of March. And if you want carp I saw about six of them while fishing. Also South pond on the border of Lynbrook and RVC hardly gets touched. Its probably because its so difficult to access. And shoreline fishermen don't have a chance. Just use some heavy duty tackle cause its covered in spatterdock.

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
Life has been good, no complaints.. I am living in the Mid-West now in the western suburbs of Chicago. Moved from Vegas in 2007. How you doing John?

life is good...still working, all 3 boys married, 4 Grandchildren...I'm coming back from a prostate operation this winter, but getting back to normal...

NYBass.com peaked at one point, but has been going through some highs and lows here and there, however, we are still around as you see!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts