The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fishing a clear water lake in two weeks and do not have any experience on them.
Looikng presentation tips and tactics for these clear conditions.
Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I agree with John. Mostly natural colors, you can use smaller profile baits and I would suggest leaders all around like 10-12 fluoro. Spinner baits in natural color with silver willow blades if it's sunny. YOu don't need to make as much noise. I also do pretty fast top water in the evening as the sun starts to sit. Even swim jigs

·
Registered
484 Posts
Natural color swimbaits work great in clear water. Use baits that create less water displacement. Like John said keep out a little deeper in the weeds as the fish will use the vegetation as an ambush point. Also makes long casts to stay out of sight.

·
Registered
339 Posts
All good advice. Silent crank baits with natural colors. Spinnerbaits with willow blades. When it gets windy, I'll use rattling crankbaits. After a rain, I'll use more colorful crankbairs and jerkbaits.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Go small, go natural, go slow. LEarn what the forage is. Fish are going to be warier then usual, and may not bite something just because it looks like food or because it had the right profile. Watch your line too. The good news is that the bass should see your lure. the bad news is that they will REALLY see your lure and will be able to more easily compare it to the real thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Agree with all above... I fish an EXTREMELY clear lake annually 1x a year with friends (20 plus foot clarity - it's crystal)... it's amazing what a little cloud/tree/dock cover does to hold fish, but the best bites we've had are with a little rain... that cloud cover and additional rain hitting the surface really helped a few times we got it... don't shy away form going if the weather looks bad - might actually help you alot.

J.

·
HardCore
1,858 Posts
Next to a drop shot, (motor oil worm -- same I use in ANY water color) my best bait in clear water lakes for the past few years is almost a tie between a swimbait (5" Swimfish) on a jighead, and get ready for this.. a 1 ounce jig. Black & green pumpkin mix, usually, with an oversized trailer. And I don't lighten up the tackle to fish it in the clear water. 30# braid with a 15 or 17# fluoro leader.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.