The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one ,my name is Greg,Ive been fishin for largemouth all my life mostly in the hudson valley. I grew up on Chadwick lake in newburgh and usally go there about 5 times a year. Ive recently purchased a new 14ft row boat w/elec motor and have been exploring new lakes and 1 that caught my eye was Chodikee, was wondering if anyone has fished it recently(last couple years).I went there last year to find a spot to hand launch but didnt have any luck.thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fish there a couple times a year,I like it alot but it's not easy fishing.I have caught a 6lb there and know that there are bigger ones.Chadwick I haven't fished in 3 or 4 years, but me and my brother caught a 7lb there in oct.I like chodikee better except in the fall. I live by both willing to fish either with you.

scott d

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Greg....

Welcome, there are a good number of places to try out your boat, especially on the East side of the Hudson. For a long time, I had rented boats at various lakes, but I also know many that you can launch your own rowboat on. One of my favorite lakes is Long Pond Lake in Clinton/Rhinebeck in Dutchess County - matter of fact it's rather closeto the Rhinecliff/Kingston Bridge. For only $10 for the day, you can launch your boat, or rent one for $15. It's a great bass and pickerel lake with a shallow, weedy half, and a deeper half. Also, there's Glenmere Lake in Florida, NY.. Not too far from Chadwick - excellent spinner bait lake with BIG bass and lotsa weeds. Washington Lake is close to Chadwick also, but can be a tougher lake to fish. Then, there's Whaley Lake where NyBass holds get-togethers all the time - great numbers lake. If you want the number or directions to any of these, let me know. There's also a good number of medium-sized "private" lakes that you can launch on in certain areas like Hunns Lake in Dutchess County, or Sylvan. Good luck!

Jared C.

·
angler
2,275 Posts
The Chodikee cartop launch and adjacent parking lot are owned by the Ulster C. Sportmen's Club and open to the public year round. It's pretty much a stunted-crappie, bass and gills lake and bowl shaped, 25' in the middle.
The outflow is a shallow, meandering stream that has some fish near wood and weed edges and supposedly, in high water, the southern inflow is also accessible.
There are weeds around 80% of the lake and I've never seen that many anglers fish it at any one time.

You would take Lake Rd. north off 299 to access the parking lot. The channel from the unimproved lauch to the lake is very shallow during low water and requires a lot of tugging to get the lake past the long dock, otherwise not a problem.
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/lakemaps/chodlkmap.pdf

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey thanks for the help,cant wait for warmer weather to start exploring.Chadwick is always been great to me ,growing up across the street and fishing from the time my homework was done till the park closed got me very familier with every ledge,rockwall,and nook n cranny where the lunkers lye. Ive been up to Bashakill a couple of times in the fall ,anybody pull anything big out of there? I like cause you get the feeling your on the Nile river or something.lol,thanks again Greg

·
Registered
431 Posts
Could you trailer in a boat and fish with your trolling motor and not the outboard? Sounds like Chodikee wouldn't work but maybe some of these others?

·
Registered
41 Posts
chodikeee

Hi guys i have fished Chodikee for a couple years now and Chodikee is a tough lake at first but once you can put something together it can really be fun.There is pads around the edge pretty much around the entire lake, and there is a creek flowing in and a creek flowing out.In the spring the creeks are real good with a jerkbait cause thats where the bait is. In the summer i use a frog and a spinnerbait as well as flippin jigs.In the fall i fish the rock wall with tubes and jigs as well.There are some really big fish in it my friend pulled a 7 out of it and have heard stories of them shocking up a 13 lbs. state record but thats all it might have been was a story.Just thought this might help and Good Luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Chodikee is a TOUGH LAKE, both the fishing and its surroundings. First off, the lake looks like death with dead trees all around, children with bright futures find it funny to throw rocks at you from the juvenile detention center, and on warm summer nights you are serenaded by Top 40 Hebrew Hits played LOUDLY. Now for the fishing, fish over 3lbs are extremly rare, most of the time I end up catching 1 dink per 2 hours fishing. It is a challenge but thats why I fish it occasionally. Not much in the catching department though.

-Vin

·
angler
2,275 Posts
Mr.M said it all! I think there's been too much harvesting for years and the DEC should have restricted it from being overfished. The DEC office is only 15 minutes from the lake and easily accessed for surveying. Too much regulation is just as bad as too little.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
found boat launch

went for a ride on sunday after visiting the EXPO,and now know where the boat launch is at chodikee. Saw at least 3 people ice fishing, didnt see if they were having any luck but did see the lake pretty well,seems decent. Cant wait for the thaw,heard temps to be in the 60's later this week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello every one ,my name is Greg,Ive been fishin for largemouth all my life mostly in the hudson valley. I grew up on Chadwick lake in newburgh and usally go there about 5 times a year. Ive recently purchased a new 14ft row boat w/elec motor and have been exploring new lakes and 1 that caught my eye was Chodikee, was wondering if anyone has fished it recently(last couple years).I went there last year to find a spot to hand launch but didnt have any luck.thank you.
I actually fished it today (5-26) and got skunked. I was out on the boat for about 4 hours and caught a small crappie and a blue gill. It was real windy and the water was really choppy. Both fish were caught on a Rapala CD in about 7’.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts