The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share something I came up with to fix a problem I was having, might help 1 of you. I bought the suction cup kit for transducer and it didn't work well for me would fall off. Than I epoxyd a piece of steel on the back of the boat and rigged a magnet onto transducer but the magnet interfered with transducer. So I came up with the idea to use the trolling motor mount to afix transducer to a pvc T with 2 hose clamps. Drilled a hole through the T and fed a ratchet strap through it which secures around entire hull. When secured it's rock solid and takes 2 mins to put on boat. Tight Lines
Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Gas Cable Wire

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Nice fix - PVC has alot for uses for stuff like this!

But regarding suction cups - I've used one for 10 years (same one) - don't bother with the crap from humminbird or amazon... I got one from McMaster Carr 3.75" diameter and aside from when its' real cold (water temps 30s- low 40s) it works just fine (McMaster-Carr). But I recently got a helix and the transducer is HUGE and heavy and figured that wouldn't work anymore... so I bought a RAM mount "twist and lock" suction cup. That thing is STRONG. Granted as with any suction cup you need smooth surface, but a suction cup can work - notably the RAM one. You'll need to rig up a connector - but I'm using it with the HELIX MEGA SI+ transducer which is like 9 inches long and it doesn't budge and thats on a boat with a trolling motor - I wouldn't try it with an outboard though.

J.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I had the Garmin suction cup it was complete garbage. That's good to know about these other suction cup options. This particular transducer is for a low end Garmin unit but I wanted to find a good solution because I'm ready to get a higher end unit. No motors at all on the NYC reservoirs. I'm pretty happy with this it's simple and it cost me a couple dollars.

·
Super Moderator
8,142 Posts
I moved this thread here where it belongs .......

Some suction cups are better than others, but overall they all suck. They are especially useless on weedy lakes. I converted a transom mount trolling motor to a transducer holder which will accommodate ANY size transducer that will not budge and can be swung out of the water quickly to avoid any rocks, wood, etc.

This place has some good mounts for those looking for better options: Fishfinder mount store

1 - 4 of 4 Posts