The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like they're calling for 15-20 mph winds out of the south. How bad will Chaumont be? I'm coming up from PA and will have a couple 12 year olds with me. I'm a little concerned.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
SW wind is probably the worst wind there, can get some pretty big waves in the bay. South wind isn't much better. You can always go up the Chaumont river to get out of the wind though. Fishing isn't as good as the bay itself, but it is pretty decent. The Indian River lakes are also close by, could trailer up there if the bay is too rough.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brandon - I'll look into the Indian River lakes. It's the last long weekend I can get the kids out so I'm going to start heading up later this afternoon and do my best to find them some fish. I was checking this morning and 3 different weather websites showing pretty much 3 different reports..amazing.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I hate weather reports - they have ruined trips in advance where I don't go and the weather was great & then I get psyched for the perfect weather and they got it completely wrong, so 9 out of 10 times I just go and make the best out of it - if they were calling for really heavy winds state wide or solid rain would be the only reasons now that I would pass! I'm sure you'll be able to make the best out of it - maybe if its only early for a few hours before the wind gets up or late when it settles down!.

Mark

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Did you get up there? Not sure what kind of wind there was on Chaumont, but in Syracuse we had zero wind both days this weekend although they were calling for some. Could of used some, humidity was brutal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, we got up there, thankfully I didn't listen to the weather forecasts. Saturday was overcast and a little breezy but totally fishable, Sunday was calm seas and pretty hot (ended up dragging the kids around on the tube a good portion of the day).
We didn't catch a lot of fish, probably 12-15 each day but the quality - both LM and SM was phenomenal. 3/8 ounce green pumpkin jig with a Zoom chunck trailer was pretty much all I threw both days. I had the kids using drop shot rigs with a variety of baits, green pumpkin and junebug slim senkos (Wacky Worm's brand) produced best for them. Biggest smallmouth went 4.6 and largemouth went 4.3, average probably slightly over 3lbs. Glad we made the trip for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.