The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going up to Charleston for the weekend of Aug 2-4, and was trying to get some information on the lake. There will be 7 of us going up for a bragging rights tournament that we get to weigh in our 2 biggest fish. The owner of the cabin gave the typical baits, (senkos, gulp, roboworms, tubes) and mostly said SM have been caught. But since we get 2 fish I was going to look for LM. Seems like the lake has deep drop offs and lots of islands with a rocky bottom, perfect for SM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you want largemouths you will need to find weeds. Lily pads will hold largemouths as will deep weed edges and all the standard baits can work. I've not fished Charleston but I've fished lakes nearby. Frogs and TX rig Senkos around pads and TX rigged plastics on the deep edges should work. Getting a bite on a moving bait can be tough this time of year. The smallies might run larger than the largies.

·
Registered
671 Posts
We fished the Rideau chain a couple of weeks ago. Charleston looks deeper to me from Google maps, but the smallies we caught were almost all on either a dropshot or a small 4" finesse worm TX rigged with a 1/8 weight. I liked the Strike King 4" Finesse worms in the 3x tough material as we were constantly getting pecked and pulled by sunnies and with the 3x stuff it stays on the hook despite being pulled about, so you know you're still fishing. With more delicate baits you really needed to wind in again after a sunny attack to make sure you still had a bait attached! They had them on the shelves in the 1000 islands bait shop.

If you find weeds in 8-12ft a jig fished vertically at random throughout the weedbeds produced some nice largemouths, or a senko up under cover behind the weed line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts