The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my TX on Cayuga Lake yesterday, windy, windy, windy.

Let me preface this by saying that Monday I pre-fished, I went toward Long Point, just past Wells College is a creek , that's the first place I tried. I worked my way into 11 feet of water and popped a 4+ on a jig, I moved down to the college. There is a water intake pipe that comes out to about 30 feet I started working before I got to it. I popped a 3+ about 40 or so yards before I reached the pipe so I went over to it, didn't get anything. I went and tried several other areas. The other areas produced one small fish for me.

Fast forward to yesterday, wind from the west, it was a bit stronger then what was forecast but manageable, got to near my area and saw several boats, as I got closer I noticed they were south of where I wanted to start. As I said the wind was more than the 3 mph that was forecast but manageable, I started cycling between top water, a torpedo, a shallow crank, jig and tube. There was a lot of junk, branches, patches of weeds and what not floating and the water was dirtier than my pre-fishing. I worked back and forth heading slowly north but the wind kept building, the weatherman's nose was growing, and it was becoming harder to control the boat so I headed north. The water was flatter near Union Springs so I started the search but the wind was still rising. I went to the canal, an area I don't know at all but it was out of the wind.

I headed toward Seneca Falls flipping and pitching and throwing a buzzbait up to a long row of docks on the other side so I crossed over and worked several hundred yards of them with only a couple of little pecker bites. I went back to the river and the canal entrance. I caught a couple of small but legal fish, no zero here. Finally, moving back out to the lake to try and find some size.

I ended the tournament with 2 fish for 3 pounds. Before I wouldn't have bothered if I knew I was out of the money but I'm tired of zeros so if I only have 1 fish it get weighed in, if I have a limit it gets weighed in. When I left the big limit was 11.69 but I saw a couple of bags that would make 14 or 15 and I caught more than some good fishermen so I don't feel to bad.
As an aside, I will get know the area around where the canal comes in up to Seneca falls, I was talking to friend who was practicing for a TX today, he went up the canal to Seneca Falls, to the second bridge, he said that's where the fish are, I'll find out before the next TX there.
Rodney

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
excellently detailed report Rodney!

I took the liberty of breaking up the paragraphs a bit, to make it a little easier on the eyes...thanks for the share..

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
Cayuga is feast or famine for me. I've got a blank, a second, and Tim Kelly and I struggled in the KTBA double shot last month. My biggest fish out of that lake (besides a huge northern, lol) was just north of the long point launch. Flower City fished over at Seneca yesterday, and reports were that very few limits were brought in. The Finger Lakes blow my mind a little bit. The only place I'm consistent is Keuka, and even then it's usually a grind.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Success on Cayuga you must be prepared and have area's on both shorelines if you can't deal with the wind. While the canal will hold some fish, by this time of year most have been transported out and the whole club while staying out of the wind will all not come out of there with a 15+ limit

·
Registered
60 Posts
Us old retired guys from Pa. try to fish the upper end of Cayuag every Friday. WE must be spitting on our baits the right way as we have caught limits every time except once and then we caught 8. We have stayed in the same general area using rattle traps and Senkos. Just have to move around as the weed cutter has been doing it's thing in my opinion ruinning the plcaes it cuts weeds. 7- 10' water has worked so far. Will be heading to Sodus with 3 other guys on Sept 7 for a week. That place is LM Bass heaven! Hopefully try for some SM Bass in the lake.

Every day is a gift from God - give Him thanks!

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
I see an open tournament on Keuka only took a shade over 11 pounds to win. That is almost hard to believe for that lake.
Wow. Clayton and I struggled to get 14, but that was good enough for 3rd. A couple years ago, Tuck and I had 19+ in smallies. Thought we were hot stuff coming to the scales. Didn't even crack the top 10, lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.