The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was thinking of trying out Canopus Lake up in putnum county and wondering what kind of fish are in there, how the activity is, what lures/baits should I use. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I fish there several times a week from my kayak. You need a permit to put a boat in. Its $30 from the park office and covers a few parks along the Taconic.

There are largemouth bass, pickeral, and panfish. There may be other fish but I've never caught one. There are really good weedbeds and some deep drop offs along the rocks on the far side mostly. The lake is around 20 feet deep in the middle but really lacks good structure.

It's loaded with small bass in the 8-10" range. I've only gotten a few fish bigger than a pound but there are some in there. Most of my fish lately have come from deep or along and over the weed beds on soft plastics. I fish mostly 6" worms or brush hogs on a jig head. I did have some luck with Keitech minnows before I ran out. Occasionally I'll get a frog bite but it doesn't seem to produce consistently.

It's usually good for a half dozen fish after work. Best I've done is about two dozen fish in about 3 hours but again, no real size to them. If you're not fishing from a boat you can hike around the far side and fish from the rocks. I wouldn't waste time fishing near the parking area though.

PM me if you want more info.

·
Many Experts, No Pros!
2,069 Posts
I was out at that lake back in 2009 and as Rubber says there are small fish but a lot of them. Here are my notes from that day though I should have gotten a bit more detailed, http://www.ericrosario.com/canopus-lake/

I don't remember the boat fee being as high as $30 because I wouldn't have paid that much unless the price has gone up. If memory serves me right I believe it was like $10-$15 for a daily pass just to get on the lake for a day but the $30 deal probably gives you regular access.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Got to the pond across the street. It's shore fishing but east access and if you a comfie climbing on some rock even better. Much bigger fish there

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't remember the boat fee being as high as $30 because I wouldn't have paid that much unless the price has gone up. If memory serves me right I believe it was like $10-$15 for a daily pass just to get on the lake for a day but the $30 deal probably gives you regular access.
$30 gives you access for the whole season, not sure what the daily rate is now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.