The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a canoe to portage into some more remote lakes and ponds. I am looking for something that can be used by 2 adults and stable enough to stand and fly cast. Weight is obviously a concern, since it will need to be carried or wheeled in. I am thinking of getting a square stern, so I could use an outboard where permitted. I was thinking that I would still be able to paddle one of the lighter models. So far I am considering the Esquif Heron, Esquif Cargo and the Meyers Sportspal S-15. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Can anyone offer any other input, experience or advice.

Thanks,

·
Registered
369 Posts
Without a doubt buy a Radisson. I have owned one for 20 years. I can stand in it (you do not stand in a "normal canoe" but you can in a Radisson. It is rigged with oars and can be paddled. It has three small keels which means it does not roll. It has sponsons( bumpers) so it cannot roll or sink. I have used it on lakes and in the Delaware river. I hoist it up on my car ny myself and I am 70 plus years. They make a square stern but I have a accessory so it works on my two pointed ends canoe. I believe Sportspal and Raddisson were once the same company but they split up(?). As I recall the Radisson might be be slightly less heavy when I bought it than the Sportpal ( on the web siote it now says they are the same weight. I also have a wheeled dolly but have never used it since I do not travel far from water. When I alone in the canoe I can easily stand and cast. Two people cannot. If I want to stretch my legs with another person in the canoe I need them to not move to get me off balance. BTW when I researched canoes the Radisson had the widest beam of 38 inches. I could go on and on about how I love my Radisson. It is one of the best things I have bought in my life lol. I have even replaced the bumpers and inner foam covering in the canoe since I wore it out form so much usage.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts