The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These guys are in town up here in Sault Ste Marie, MI Now I've caught a few walleye in my life , shoot I was just out with Burnie and he caught a few going 1-1.5 mph on the trolling motor but from what I can gather from seeing these guys is that walleye must be one fast fish. There are many of them running around in boats (I'll use a ranger 621VS FISHERMAN as a reference but there are other boat manufacturers as well). Running around with 300hp outboards. Nice looking rigs I'm going to try and make the weigh-in tomorrow (they have some events going on for kids if I can get out of work early enough). One of my first questions if I get a chance to talk to any of the anglers running a 300hp engine will be to find out what kind of speeds they can make in calm water with a full tournament load, in rough water it will probably be about like any other boat, the body can only take so much abuse. I'll post some pictures if I get a chance to take some

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at these boats and the freeboard on them they look like they would make a smart choice for a bass rig on the great lakes, as everyone knows the weather picks up quick on them and they seem like they'd take the seas a little better. I'm hoping to be able to get a good close look at the fishing layout of them. Thought about stopping by the hotels on my way home when there were all prepping gear for tomorrow but figured it was smarter to stop pick up something for dinner

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looking at these boats and the freeboard on them they look like they would make a smart choice for a bass rig on the great lakes, as everyone knows the weather picks up quick on them and they seem like they'd take the seas a little better.
That platform might be a less wet experience, but unless the seat has good shock absorbers the pile driving of your spine gets old very fast.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That platform might be a less wet experience, but unless the seat has good shock absorbers the pile driving of your spine gets old very fast.
The pile driving does get old very fast. I've been fortunate to be able to drive many different boats with varying levels of technology and even some of the best shock mitigating seating doesn't do much especially on the lakes. You would think that with electronic controlled seats where you can input your weight and adjust the compression & rebound you would be good to go, but we still bottom those out and jar the spine but that's the risk we, as mariners, choose to accept when we head out boating.

Starting tomorrow these guys start weighing in, i'll get to find out the sizes of some of the walleye that are up here. From what I've been told the walleye fishing is pretty good

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Got the Tuffy few years back... 1760GC Osprey... Mine is alot smaller (17-6) than your looking at... Mine does have the shock abs seats... Boats are heavier and deeper V than a bass boat... higher freeboard too. you get into one of these after a bass boat and your a speed guy you will be disappointed... I discussed performance quite a bit with the Tuffy guys... alot of these guys will be running full windshields, 15 hp kickers, 5 batteries, trolling gear, tons of tackle... Along with the heavier boat, your speeds will be down, even with up to a 300...
If you find yourself on big water though... Safe way to go... My little 1760 is a blast to fish from, really good on the gas... if the chop kicks up, I'm good to go... When you stop and put the Trolling motor down, good or better than anything out there...
Check the for sale forum here, you may see a deep V boat for sale...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
If things were to go my way, which they are not, My next boat would be a Tuffy 1890T (tiller) 90 HP, rigged by me to the max... Great Thousand island river boat.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My buddy runs a Ranger 621 with a 300... full tourny load he can it 52 to 55 MPH(full windshield) , these boats are heavy, great running boat in rough water ....smooth and dry

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked out the weigh-in, 28 pounds is the current leader with 8 pounds even as big fish. ICEMAN - there was a couple tuffy's there one was a dual console much like one you have. First time i've seen one in person, mice looking boats.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
seems like the pre fish was good for some and not so good for others, there were a lot of people (total in this tournament is around 200 boats, team format with 2 to a boat with the ability to fish 2 rods each) were having some trouble today there were many that didn't bring 5 fish to the scales. the leader board is online if you search for cablea's masters walleye circuit you can find the leader board and they are broadcasting the weigh ins live on there website if you are interested in checking where your friends stand

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Alot of these multi species boat offer some seating options and a removable rear deck that you can set up to meet your needs... (check the pics in my For sale ad with the rear deck in and out). Alot of deep V brands out there, never hurts to look... price a tuffy last though...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Shameless post hijacking with pics from last weeks tuffy test ride days in Clayton... could be you Gregg up there when you retire...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts