The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to butterfield Sunday for a little fun fishing with a couple buddies. Conditions were HORRIBLE!!!!. Water temp 79 degrees, North wind 10 mph and blue bird skies. I read an article about a blue green algae bloom in Butterfield, not sure whats going on with that as I didn't see any but the nasty weather over the weekend may have riled it all up. The water was very dingy.

Not sure what is going on with the weeds, the weed edges are very sporadic and the weeds are really sick looking. Almost looks like it may have been sprayed but who knows. We couldn't see the weed edge, we had to rely on the sonar to find the edges, but when you did you could find active fish.

I wound up with a dozen or so LMB, my buddy wound up with 6 or 7 LMB. All came on a black and blue jig other than one decent fish that came unbuttoned at the boat on a crank bait and one on a drop shot.

I caught a really nice 4lb 8oz LM on a drop shot (no pic, comp thinks every email attachment has a virus now....not sure how to fix that). Some may say that's not a great fish but anyone who has fished Butterfield knows that's a good one for that lake.

Now for the interesting part.....this bass was caught at least two more times before me. It had a hole in the top lip that was healed over and one in the cheek AND had a nole in the bottom jaw from a cull tag. Other than the holes this thing was healthy as a horse!

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weather was great.....water conditions were horrible. Tough bite, the fish were very bunched up on particular spots, I think due to the murkiness, algae and the severe cold front.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I think it's a combo of the high water and hot water that is affecting the weeds. I've noticed the same thing on very different bodies of water, the weeds are growing very differently and they are almost slimy. Not a lot of good weed edges either. One place I fish normally have weeds to the surface, but they only grew to 5' below the surface. Everywhere though, the weeds aren't their normal bright green, they are lighter, almost yellowish. Lots of algae blooms too. Been a strange year for weeds for sure.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
solid fishing and nice report..

I think it's a combo of the high water and hot water that is affecting the weeds. I've noticed the same thing on very different bodies of water, the weeds are growing very differently and they are almost slimy. Not a lot of good weed edges either. One place I fish normally have weeds to the surface, but they only grew to 5' below the surface. Everywhere though, the weeds aren't their normal bright green, they are lighter, almost yellowish. Lots of algae blooms too. Been a strange year for weeds for sure.
I see the same things on the reservoirs down here..def a strange year for weeds..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys !!

I have been lurking here for a few year and this is my first post.

NNYBassangler,

I fished Butterfield Lake for many years and it has also been quite a few since the last time. I have to ask if your avatar pic was take in what I call Boyer's Bay as it looks like you are standing near the point at the Old Boyer's camp grounds.

Do you happen to know any of the Boyer's ?? I pretty much grow up with them and would sure like to get back to see them and fish the lake again !!

Man do I miss fishing that lake !!

Take Care ~ BH

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pic in my avatar is a Lake Ontario smallie from Chaumont bay taken at the Chaumont launch. I do know some of the Boyers, don't see them often though. The lake has changed a lot in the last few years, the fishing has gotten a bit tougher, starting to see a lot of people keeping tons of fish, hope that doesn't continue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.