The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to walk around this little pond in Queens on the 22nd. While there was a thin layer of ice forming, I did see a few old beds in the shallows and the remains of a couple of rubber worms. This place looks like it has some possabilities. Its about 1/2 the size of Kissena Pond.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Leigh,

Those rubber worms that you see are probably mine! I fish this pond alot, almost everyother day this year (its less than 5 blocks from my house). It doesn't look that appealing because there is virtually no cover in this pond. However, this pond has some nice size bass in it. I have caught bass in the 3-4lb range this year and heard of bass being caught into the 5lb range. I don't think this is true for the local fishermens "mental scales" are off about a pound or so. The pond is so shallow (about 3ft in the middle) that you could see the bass crusing pretty far out. In the summer months the algae takes over the lake and the only thing that really produces is a wacky rigged senko. You cannot really fish anything else without getting the green slime all over the lure. They usually hit the senko as soon as it hits the water, if they don't you lose it to the algae.
I found a shallow jointed rapala works very well in the early spring when the water is clean. Spinnerbaits are also very effective at that time of year as well.
I'll see you at the boat show on Sat. Jan. 3, I want to try to catch Doug Hannons seminar. Thanks again for the tickets.
MikeYac

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,
I'll look forward to meeting you out there this spring. Also taking you out on one of the bigger lakes on my boat as well.

·
Fish Fanatic
243 Posts
Lpbassman,
I have also ventured to that location on more than one occaision to check if it's a possible fishing ground. But with MikeYac's reassurence, I'm pretty sure there's something in the lake. Although I didn't really see anything. Crocheron Pond looks like it has more potential.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts