The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
angler
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day was comfortable when the wind blew, but hot and muggy when calm. Bill wanted to take his boat which with the many batteries, ran the 40 # thrust tm at a nice clip when needed. The weeds are up all over except in the deep end and it was crucial to find the edges except when they were a few feet beneath the surface.

I tried baits I haven't used before or ones I had lost faith in -all caught bass and pickerel over 21". Even crappie were hitting some of the baits! The list:
Crankbaits - shallow and deep divers
Willow leaf spinner bait with white craw trailer, pearl white skirt
9" Big Wag Worm (the only two keepers I caught of the dz. or more dinks)
3.5" tube T rigged on a swimbait hook with a 3/8 oz bullet wt.
1/2 Senko T rigged with the same sinker
zero top water; zero skirted jig.

Bill caught his on a tube and Senkos.

It's nice when you can find fish at different depths and near different cover types in the same outing. I wish weather had been threatening because I'm certain we could have done better in the north end. The fact that a tournament was held last Sat. didn't help find better quality.

One of the homeowners stated that Dominic is in the process of selling the marina and if so, I hope they fix the many messed up docks one can't even stand on.

Bill, as usual, is good company and the topics of conversation entertaining. Look forward to our next outing!

Frank

·
Life is good !
3,757 Posts
getting out w/ Bill is always a great day he is a good friend. Frank ...What flavor Icecream was the choice of the day ?

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
Whaley is a classic example of old money, and when something is dumped in your lap, you never really love it, because you didn't make it happen yourself...

anyone who takes over that marina will take a completely different stance towards it....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Great way to catch 'em all throughout each level of the water columns as well managing the trifecta. Nicely done guys.

John , not knowing how the bait and tackle shop near the watershed was acquired but knowing how many boaters stop through that are targeting bass you'd think they'd take a better stance at capitalizing on that. I've seen more bass tackle in some members tackle bags than what some of these local places shelve.

·
Life is good !
3,757 Posts
It has a chance w/ a Marketing stragegy & a demographic study & a positive capital MIGHT put that place back together.

·
Registered
848 Posts
What ice cream shack?????

Thanks Fran for spending the day fishing with me. Fishing with Frank is always a good time, especially as he brings out all his creations.

Frank caught fish on just about all his creations he tried. I'm going to try a couple of them if I can remember what they were. Fortunately he left one with me and the other he mentioned above.

Not only Dominick might be looking to sell his marina, there is talk they will lower the water level next year so they can work on the dam.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Whaley will be available for public use next year.

Thanks again Frank.

·
angler
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Again, a pleasure! I would be happy to send you a few of the many creations I've come up with since our last outing years ago. I know they catch fish and some are guaranteed to catch five species. It's the least I can do for you going out of your way. If they had the chuck wagon open, I would have bought us lunch.

If interested, pm your address. (You'll love the trailers - the one I left on your spinner bait.)

If the lake is lowered, that will take a big bite out of the marina's cash flow depending how long it takes to fix the dam. I love lowered water on any lake with a damn and might take my row boat to the launch if it's still open.

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
If they had the chuck wagon open
see, that is what I am talking about: why WOULDN'T it be open??

I would expand the Chuck wagon, both in size and quality and have a soft serve ice cream or soft yogurt machine also....

I would take the shack and make it into a small bait and tackle store....there are many things you can do to make that place better....

if it is zoned for that, how about small scale outdoor live music??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.