The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a ride up north on Saturday betting the weather would hold out. I drove through a few quick storms on the way north at about 6am but once I got off the Northway at Warrensburg I was greeted by blue skies with a few grey clouds and distant thunder rumbling. I launched the kayak on Lake Abanakee about 8am and fished north of the bridge for about 3 hours with only a few light bites on a shaky head with various soft plastics. I was afraid to head too far from the launch due to the iffy weather. Threw frogs and spinnerbaits but no action on those. I decided at this point to pack up and head up to Lower Saranac as I know that lake better. In the hour it took to get there the wind really picked up, way more than the 5-10 they were predicting. Got a few short bites on the way out to the main lake but nothing landed. Fished some structure that's been good for me in the past but nobody was home. The wind was really bad so I tried to stay in the lee but after fighting it for a few hours I called it quits. The paddle back to the launch was rough and its the first time I actually thought about using my spray skirt as there were whitecaps on the lake. The looks I got from the power boaters were a good consolation at least. It's like they've never seen a kayak with five fishing rods, fishfinder and gps before :D

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
RL,
It has been very tough on Abanakee with all the rain, no sun, the releases from IL and the spawn coming really late this year. However in the future you should head south of the bridge and once you get to the narrows fish the shoreline left all the way up to the Bridge/Big Brook Road and then do the return on the opposite side. When you fish north of the bridge try to stay in the river channel you will be rewarded with some very sweet smallies.....

·
Registered
590 Posts
A spray skirt is a cover for the opening in a sit inside kayak. It has a hole positioned so that your torso can be sealed around your waist and the peRimeter of the skirt is sealed around the rim of the hull opening. It can prevent water from entering the boat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.