The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. let's hear it. Let's get some fish talk going here. Let's hear about your best day/tournment/hour this past year.
For me this wasn't one of my better years at all...it sucked as a matter of fact. However, I did manage to get a few nice patterns going. My best day was at a private lake in Orange County in early June. I went out with my club partner, who lives on the lake, and my daughter (8). My purpose was to get my daughter as many fish as possible. I put on a white tube on a 1/4oz. jig head. I casted in 4ft. of water near a dam run-off and turned to de-tangle my daughter line. I picked up the pole and and felt a nice tug. I few jumps later I landed a 5 3/4lb. pig. I was very happy and thought I could REALLY pay attention to my daughter now and did. She caught 9 bass up to 2 1/2lbs. About 2hrs into the trip we were on our way back to the launch and at the last stop. I put on a 3" brown tube w/ a 1/4 ounce jig head. Again in about 4-5 ft. of water and I landed a 6 1/3lb. pig. My first day catching 2 fish over 5lbs. A great day for me and my daughter.
Another day I had good 45minute stretch this year in my jon-boat club tournment. It was one of our evening tournments from 2-10 o'clock. Blue bird skys with no wind at all. I decided to start in deeper water. The lake is 22ft. at it's deepest I was fishing off a hump in 14ft. of water. I had won lunker 3 of the last 4 years at this lake all fish over 5 one 6 1/2. I felt good about this spot but not at this time of the day (2:00) but decided to give it a shot anyway. I was throwing a 1/4oz. Black/Blue Bitsy jig w a Black/Blue Wooly Hog trailer on 10lb. test. To my surprise, I caught my first fish at 2:15, 3+lbs. I was very happy and felt anything I caught before 5:00 was gravy. Ten minutes later another 3+lber, looked like a twin. Twenty minutes later I caught my third fish over 3lbs. I was VERY excited, this was the best I ever started off in a tournment. I had over 10lbs. in the live-well 45minutes into the tournment with conditions only getting better...so I thought. The excitment turned into frustration and that was all I managed for the rest of the tournment. Won second place w/ 10 1/2lbs on 3 fish.
Let's hear your story...I KNOW some of the days some of you guys had....how about all you lurkers out there. This is a good post to introduce yourselfs. It's polite to share...LOL

·
Plastamaniac
541 Posts
2003.........1st tourney of the year was a single man tourney (ABA) and I had 22.89 for five, what a great start to the season. It was so cool to find them stacked up like I did...but I hate sitting on them big-ums all day in the tank.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow...

you certainly did find them...I think ALOT of guys would like to have worries like that..LOL..

·
Plastamaniac
541 Posts
Re: Wow...

Cast-a-way said:
you certainly did find them...I think ALOT of guys would like to have worries like that..LOL..
Unfortunately they use a lot of O2 and when they are in the tank only 30 minutes into the tourney......makes a long day....a great one but long.

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
After fishing Kensico from shore for so many years I finally got to fish it from a boat! Had the good fortune to get out three or four times with Vic on Kensico, but the first time was surely the best. The cover and structure there is bass heaven and we took full advantage bang out about 20 quality fish each and mixed bag of SM,LM, & pickerels. And just had the greatest time whooping it up and catching fish!

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
best fun and tournament fishing

Let me start with fun. There are a couple of instances that I could think of. THe 40+ fish at Oscawana with Leigh and Hugefish where I was hammering them with a t-rigged tube and 7 inch Powerworm. Then a solo outing at Forge Pond where I flipped a decent limit from grass mats anchored by a 5 lber.

But my best fun outing was at Freeport Reservoir, oddly enough not from a boat, but wading together with Basshunter Pete. Altogether with caught about 30 + fish in 2 hrs , most of them in the 2-3 lb class, flinging senkos, and at one point, back to back casts and some doubles.

My best tournament day was of course, a win at East Twin in May, where Pat X and I established a new club record on that lake with 18 lbs +. My first cast was greeted with a 3 lb bass and we had a limit in 30 mins. Fish were in 3 stages of the spawn and we caught the prespawn mamas to run away with the victory. I caught the lunker for that day with a 4 lber. Flipping tubes, jigs and wacky senkos caught all of our fish.

A very close second is the day on Copake Lake. Pat and I had a so-so practise the previous week but on tx day, we were culling an hour into the tournament. We basically fished a weedbed to death trying to catch the elusive kicker fish, but all we were catching were some lousy 3 lbers, about 20 or so of them, LOL. We ended the day with 18 lbs and placed second to the powerhouse Hooked Solid team who caught 20 lbs, anchored with a 5lber, the same freakin fish that Pat and I were targeting.....grrrrrrrrr....:D

All together, 2003 was my best fishing year, numbers wise and quality wise......

Joe

·
Registered
86 Posts
This season got off to a great start...I already had 18 fish over 5 lbs before the end of June...I couldn't and didn't break 6 lbs this season but the fours were too numerous to count...They hardly got me excited in the spring, the way things were going...I prayed for rain everyday !!!...The bonuses were two SMB over 4 lbs...One was 4 lbs 13 oz and made up part of very "hard to get" 4 fish stringer that day...

My success was only a shadow of what I saw accumulate in my boats so many times this spring...The guys I fished with this season and myself, really kicked the snot out of the bass early on in the season...A number of 6+ lb fish, two over 7 lbs and my brother-in law broke the 8 lb mark once...It was amazing...But we put in a lot of time, fished frequently, and hopped around quite a bit...

The action cooled "a lot", unlike the overbearing temperatures of July and August and thus the highpoints were harder and harder to find...Needless to say, my fishing frequency dropped along with my enthusiasm...

But probably the single greatest day this season came on a rainy day, the first week in August...I had a 16 fish run where everything was working just right...We had the lake virtually to ourselves with the intermittent rain coming down hard and in spurts...That day, I had four 4+ lb LMB in the mix...Three more were pushing high threes...Only one fish weighed less than three and it was a respectable 2+ lber...

The sweetest part of the day came from the fact that I was in someone elses backyard, on their boat, with them navigating...He caught one miserable fish to my sixteen...In all fairness, he was doing "bong hits" all day long and drinking "40 s" like he was on an I.V. of alcohol...But i wasn't complaining...A great guy, good friend, and an OK fisherman who I owe a big payback to...It was a team effort no matter how imbalanced the numbers look...Despite the rain, I have a fair amount of pictures from that day on one of those Kodak picture CDs that I got from developing a disposable digital camera...I just can't figure out how to post them...

Funny thing about that day is, that on the way home, I called Vic (Yankeesrule) in all my excitement over the day I just had...We figured the fish were back on again...When we went back the next day, we struggled to piece together a 10 fish stringer of unremarkable fish...Thank god for pickeral...

The rest of the season was generally "lackluster" with respect to numbers or big fish in any appreciable amount compared to past seasons...For a while there in September, when i was fishing with Ronnie (Bass Stalker), I had a real bad run of luck...I was very unhappy with the quality of fish I was catching and the numbers were low too...I all but gave up..The fall lbrought me a broken hand and I was about finished...But I still managed several outings with, at first a cast, and then a splint, on my hand...I managed to close with the feel of a few good quality fish to keep the taste over the long winter...All in all, by far my best spring ever, but my worst summer...I have some insight as to why, but thats another post completely...

Mark D

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff guys...

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
by far the best: Gregg, Jeff and I on Whaley...early season ( shhhhhh)......169 fish in the boat! unreal........

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
A few tournament stories:
Upper Mills, night June 28. For the first three hours of the event Rob and I could only muster up a dink fest with no keepers. At about 8pm I switch to a handpoured fluke bait that I poured for Paul Ritchie.....(yeah I did a few for myself big guy), first cast about a three pounder, alternating between that and my special night spinnerbait we put about 11lbs in the boat in short order. At about 9pm Rob nails a fish just under 5lbs and we start creaming them on a buzzbait. We win the tournament and set a club record for weight.

Memorial tournament: This is one that I put so much effort into the planning of, this year I set out to really finish well in it. Teamed up with Paul Ritchie we fished Forge in early Sept. The bass were on a predictable pattern but very tight lipped. With a two weigh in format for the day, we headed for the first weigh in with three fish and about a half hour to spare. Paul nails a jig fish near the launch, about a minute later I hang a 3 1/2lber. Now we have 5 for about 9lbs. The weight was respectable as we have the lead over a decent field of guys.
In part two of the event, we camp out on our jig fish and take 5 more for a total of about 18lbs on the day. Not great weight but a satisfying win in the most important tournament I've ever fished.

ESBA Rookie/Vet Shootout- This was a neat little B/S tournament we threw together. I was teamed up with JPsurf about his boat. We quickly boated a few keepers on a shallow water salty stinker bite. Then we each took a better fish flipping to the heavy cover. I broke off on a good fish in the back end of the lake. With a limit of about 10lbs we went for the spillway, Jim broke off on a monster jig fish and about 30 seconds later I rear into a fish that tailwalked across the surface before brewaking my line. Another 5lber gone. We stopped for a minute and realized those two fish would have given us over 20lbs for the day for a 5 bass limit. We regained our composure and Jim took a solid 4 and we wound up winning the event. A lot of laughs were had by us. We really teamed up and put our heads together for the win.

I'm not going to even begin to get into the days I just went out and caught 45, 50, 100 fish in a few hours. Put it this way, when I'm not fishing a tournament , that is what I'm doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would have to say BWB classic ,after first day 3rd place in weight in 2 day tournament , thru directors agreement also fished Barge canal Bassmasters open on Sunday , these are very good fisherman on Cayuga Lake . My partner and I took second in BWB classic Iwas told 5/100 of an oz short of a win and won Barge Canal BM. Made up for the mistakes early in the year. Mistakes we hope to not make 2004. Finger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts