The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious today. Where would you go to fish if you had your pick of anywhere in the USA for bass fishing?

The criteria are:

Great fishing (abundance or size)
Great scenery
Great weather
Less traffic

You do not have to give away your honeyholes here. This is just me trying to find a great place to fish for bass in the country.

·
Got smallmouths???
1,313 Posts
Branson, MO

Wandy,

About 5 years ago my wife Tina E., my son and I went to Branson, MO on vacation of course we did the usual things you would do, when visiting that area, shows, spent a day in Springfeild, MO(along with a bit of money:D, BPS' main store), rented a bass boat to fish Tablerock Lake and fished Lake Taneycomo(which is more like a fast moving river) for trout. Well in between the site seeing, shows, shopping and fishing, I happened to find a nice little pond on the golf course at the resort we stayed at, the pond was loaded with bass, both spotted and largemouth and both very aggressive, lets just say I had the best time fishing that little pond, caught a few dozen keeper and larger size bass in a few hours every visit to that pond in the week we stayed there, they were the only fish I caught that week.

Tablerock looked beautiful and very fishy with all the standing timber but very pressured in the Branson area, seemed like there were 5 bass boats to every patch of standing timber that I could see, I ended up heading deep up into one of the arms of the lake to find some nice private docks, but to no avail.

I'll give it the great scenery and great fishing, at the golf course anyway.

For great scenery, less traffic and decent fishing, Black Lake, the first week in September, went there in 1994 and had a decent time, although we could have found a much better place to stay, would like to go back.

In May of "94" my new bride and I went to the Hawaiian Island of Kaui, it gets the great weather, mid May between 80 - 85 degrees with little humidity, although I did not find out until a day or so before we left there that there was bass fishing on the island on a private pay to fish lake for smallmouth, largemouth and peacock bass. Although I did not get to fish for bass, I did get to fish on a nice little 35' charter boat for tuna and marlin, my new bride caught a small tuna, I didn't catch anything but during a time when we had a multiple hookup on the boat and the mate and captain were busy, the captain asked if I could take the wheel. Oh yea!!! me at the wheel of a 3/4 million $ boat!!!:D

For all the above though you can't beat the Nor'east, maybe even an hour or so drive from you!!! NYC resevoirs, Harriman SP and other places around the Hudson Valley as well as some places here in NE PA, maybe 1.5 hours away, I could share with you.

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott

I heard Hawaii had some Peacock bass. Funny about the mate and the captain.

My fishing excursions are not far and wide. I only recently got back into freshwater about 4 years back after not fishing since childhood. Now living in the city I did not realize that the NE had what I might be looking for. I appreciate the offer and will definitely take you up on it.

I had heard about the great Deltas but wondered what others thought.

Funny how a little pond can make such good fish.

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Wandy,
I have also fished in quite a few states throughout the country, but if I had to pick one or two for the best, I have a similar place as did Scott. There is a golf course in Tupelo, Mississippi that my buddy and mentor is a member of. There are several water holes on this course that go maybe 5 acres. They are all loaded with largemouth bass. When we fished there we would hit it about 7am til about 10ish and return about 3pm til about 7. We would each catch 25 or 30 fish on each trip. (50 - 60 a day each)! When the holes were young the fish would run 1.5 - 2lbs, but as the years went on we caught fish in the 3-4 pound class commonly. I have not been there in about 3 years but have been told that my buddy's son got a 9+ out of there and 5 & 6 lbers are pretty common.

There is another lake on the Lee County / Pontatoc County border (also in Tupelo) called the Trace Lake. This place is/was a big fish factory. One year my friend made the cover of Mississippi Fish & Game with a 10 fish stringer that went 63+ pounds. Somewhere around here I have a copy of it. Jet300 & myself are thinking of going down there sometime in March.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pickeral Fishing

It's one of those warm and quiet evenings in the late spring. Work is done, chores are done, wife and kids are safe at home. I've already been on the Upper Mills stretch of the Peconic River for an hour or two.

Looking up river you see the kind of sunset where the sky bleeds and then blends reds, oranges and purples into something akin to a tastey tropical drink. The trees are green with new growth and the water levels are high flooding the shore line providing endless cover. By now, I've been on the water four or five times already so the rush of the first few wet lines is past and the hunt is on!

I've just finished tying on my bait when I heard the sound. Turning, I toss the bait underhand towards the water. Slam. The line tightens...

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Hey Christopher...what's Forge doing nowadays?....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts