The New York Bass Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Crass Angler
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Jordan Lee just caught 6-07 on the BPT in Florida on a Berkley Maxscent General in black/blue. I'm pretty sure that's 43% bigger than most fish caught on BPT, lol.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
nothing magical about the different creature baits; it is the hand that works them AND WHERE that hand works them....

Pit bosses will produce pretty much like any other of that genre....

·
Crass Angler
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The bait Jordan went from 0 lbs. on day one to 32+ for the lead was a senko style bait (The General), not a creature. They are well known producers on big O.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There is always a magical bait in a certain category.. would you rather throw a senko or a yumdinger... how about a trd or any other non floating ned worm...a bps 3.8 swimbait or a keitech...and as far as creatures I'll but a venom better beaver against any on the market...and in clear water give me anything roboworm...

·
Not so lost...
3,676 Posts
Lol. Haven’t been on in what a year? Got an email suggesting some threads I might be interested in and look what I walk into. The wintertime blues. Ah well. Hope every one of you and yours are doing well. It’s almost time to wet a line!

Everyone has an opinion of what works and they are entitled to their opinion based on their experience. I don’t get the attacking someone’s informed opinion who took the time to share. It’s fine to disagree, but do it respectfully. Just saying... it’s almost time to wet a line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
yeah, Kevin, some people just don't know how to play nice,,,,what can you do.....

·
Not so lost...
3,676 Posts
Glad to see some familiar names kicking around though Doc.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Lol. Haven’t been on in what a year? Got an email suggesting some threads I might be interested in and look what I walk into. The wintertime blues. Ah well. Hope every one of you and yours are doing well. It’s almost time to wet a line!

Everyone has an opinion of what works and they are entitled to their opinion based on their experience. I don’t get the attacking someone’s informed opinion who took the time to share. It’s fine to disagree, but do it respectfully. Just saying... it’s almost time to wet a line!

This is why I dont come here much anymore. Let's just try and get along. There is no ONE RIGHT bait, technique, rod, reel, line etc. It is about personal preference and confidence.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
but do you guys stop to think that if all of us who feel that way WOULD post on here, we would overwhelm the negative posters......

also, I am still moderator and can ban people from the forum, if there are constant offenders, it is a simple thing for people to PM me and bring notice about this and put the ball in my court as how to handle it.....

if you don't make your complaints known, then there is nothing I can do....

·
Registered
197 Posts

I agree 100 percent

·
Crass Angler
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
but do you guys stop to think that if all of us who feel that way WOULD post on here, we would overwhelm the negative posters......

also, I am still moderator and can ban people from the forum, if there are constant offenders, it is a simple thing for people to PM me and bring notice about this and put the ball in my court as how to handle it.....

if you don't make your complaints known, then there is nothing I can do....
OK. Why is Frank allowed to harass me using two accounts?

https://www.nybass.com/member.php?137-Senkosam

https://www.nybass.com/member.php?1056-Senko-Sam

·
lurecrafter
284 Posts
There is no ONE RIGHT bait, technique, rod, reel, line etc. It is about personal preference and confidence.
:beerchug:

...as well as experience. A magic bait doesn't exist or it would catch more fish for more anglers most of the time. Many of us have preferences when it comes to lure design and presentations. Most advertisements make claims that haven't been proven by most of us on NYBASS - the best source of information based on opinion-based experiences on different waters in different months and seasons.

Granted there are some lures that excel and those are the ones we want to know about based on posts that share experiences and that hopefully include photos. (I always do.) But as time goes on, unproven claims fall on deaf ears unless proven by a number of anglers - the more experienced the better !

The article might have been written differently to include action and shape uniqueness, presentations it could be used with, species caught, versatility, etc.
Fanco and I have recently been agreeing on more such lure related facts thereby giving more readers a broader view of a lure's fish-catching potential - opinion-based regardless.

This is typical of the change that has become more acceptable based on fish biology - especially, as Franco put it - the irritation/agitation lures produce interrupting a fish's usual sedentary state. How much irritation/agitation is up to the angler to find using various lures at different speeds at different depths/structure types. As was stated by another poster - variety exists when it comes to lure choice - none more superior to others regardless the brand or claims. I wish it weren't so or the tons of lures I own would never have been bought based on BS articles in BassMaster or on TV shows.

You like a particular lure and want to talk about it, give some technical facts why you think it did/does well such as profile, texture, a particular color, action (most of all), how used and where (structure type). That information I'm always interested reading about.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts

·
lurecrafter
284 Posts
Hey, I could always log in as Spoonminnow! LOL

John, too bad we don't live closer. Bet Orange L. is going to be great this year. Still remember our day on Whaley when you outfished me 4:1. (pickerel don't count ! LOL) Same for Mike D. We had fun catching bass from my boat at the get together. (He wants me to make another video for Lunkerville.)

But getting back to scent/ taste as a draw for bass. Catfish definitely. In fact stink bait was all we used when I was stationed in Tx. But bass?!! Don't see it or see how it can be proven side by side using unscented baits from the same company. JMO based on my experience making lures and catching fish with them on a dozen local waters - annually.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
Frank, my feeling has always been that scent will not draw a bass from far away , or make a neutral bass active, BUT: I do believe that the combination of texture, plus scent/flavoring, may make a bass HOLD ONTO A PLASTIC LURE JUST A LITTLE BIT LONGER.....which definitely would help a learning fisherman, and might even assist one of us when the bite is extremely subtle, and we don't pick it up right away.....

·
lurecrafter
284 Posts
When it comes to lures and the strike I guess anything is possible. But one thing - Senkos are smooth as are the sticks I pour and when bass hit there's no question what hit them. Do bass have a clue about what they're tasting if that sense is even paid attention to?

Fish senses are sharp and the ones I feel are most prone to generate the strike, regardless of lure, are sight and feel-without-touch via the lateral line. The combination like our land/sea sonar/radar is capable of determining object speed, direction, hardness/softness, water displacement motions, motion type, texture via sight detection of light reflected off surfaces and contrast to any background, size, shape and of course the slightest audible sound. I think of it like the ultra sensitivity a blind person develops with the sharpening of certain senses - except fish are born with ultra sensitivity sensitive enough to track objects - even in muddy water or at night.

Recognizing what's in their mouth assumes they knew what the object was (or represented) before they struck. Garlic and salt have been touted for decades as soft lure enhancers and then came the protein shakes fish mouthed enthusiastically. Interesting though that I've had jigs & trailers and soft plastic worms carted off by fish while I wasn't watching - none containing scent or flavor enhancement.

If a fish IMO wants something bad enough and then initiates swallowing as in the case of streamline soft plastic lures, it's during and after the strike what we feel - period. To believe anything different is adding icing to the cake but proves nothing in my mind considering all the exceptions when strikes happen.

It will always come down to lure-related/ sense related factors in combination with presentation. It's like believing in certain colors - if it helps catch fish by all means choose them. But know that another set of colors could work just as well for reasons having nothing to do with what fish know about color or they wouldn't strike lures attached to yellow or white line.

·
lurecrafter
284 Posts
Of course the above is MY belief based on years of making or modifying lures and catching fish on almost every lure type including Helin's FlatFish - (the weirdest moving lure ever made!)

When it comes to lures that work vs those that don't, the little things affecting shape and action matter a big deal that benefit from certain presentations. Here are a few modified lures - one of which has caught 5 species of fish; the others 3 species:

I can experiment with color having poured soft plastics from over 30 molds:

(Note: lures were rehooked for keeping photos in my photo-logs kept on the PC back home)

Who would have thought clear or color tints could catch fish - including bass? But the fact that the lures caught fish regardless of species means fish are no different when it comes to why they bite lures - the why being lure action and unique visual qualities given a specific presentation.
*But note: depending on light angle and background, even clear lures show color; light refraction/reflection visually define lure shape and action.

Here's an example of a hybrid jerk worm that has worked better than any worm I've ever used - a Kut Tail Worm/grub body combo:

This one lure, before being destroyed by a pickerel, caught over 20 fish, including bass, perch, sunfish, crappie and a 3 lb catfish. Two presentations were used that caught fish.

Action spoke louder in all cases fish caught in a local pond, a tidal creek off the Hudson and 4 lakes within 40 minutes from home.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts