The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Crass Angler
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since I posted any review. It had also been a while since I fished Berkley plastics, despite them being go to bait for years. Here's an article I wrote when I was asked to use and review the baits.

https://www.bassresource.com/fishing_lures/berkley-powerbait-maxscent-review.html

I've used all 6 packages up, and added the D-Worm and the General to my normal use baits. The General actually sinks faster than real senkos, which is interesting. I'm guessing it's because they're water logged with scent. At any rate, thought I'd share here, since it's getting cold and we're all thinking about what we should buy for next year.

·
HardCore
1,858 Posts
Can't speak to the effectiveness of the Max Scent stuff, because I won't try it, on general principals, because Berkely introducing a Senko copy and calling it The General after unceremoniously dumping Larry Nixon (aka The General) from their pro staff just absolutely stinks. You could say, it maxstinks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't hold back Rich! Can't wait to see the body count with the purchase of Pure Fishing! Peanut counters will be asking why about every pro staffer! oh and this tour has how much history??

·
Registered
226 Posts
Can't speak to the effectiveness of the Max Scent stuff, because I won't try it, on general principals, because Berkely introducing a Senko copy and calling it The General after unceremoniously dumping Larry Nixon (aka The General) from their pro staff just absolutely stinks. You could say, it maxstinks.
Glad that Larry is with Yamamoto for plastics.

Berkley has been unoriginal for quite a while now that it's getting to be ridiculous. I used to use the Pit Boss years ago, but ALL of their new hardbaits are practically copies of really successful hardbaits. This is going back to their "newer" hardbaits like their squarebill, jerkbaits, wakebaits, spin, practically having the same molds as Lucky Craft. Copied the Evergreen showerblows. Copied the Whopper Plopper(which was streamlined version of a Musky bait from 1918), j-walker...jeez.

·
Crass Angler
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything is a copy of something else in this biz. Just reporting back the results of using the baits. I could care less about the politics of the sport/business. None of that puts fish in the boat.

·
A Knight Without Armour
4,033 Posts
Touche Rich

·
angler
2,275 Posts
How much did you get paid to write that article? To me it looks like an advertisement especially after reading the final statement:
Either way, it’s good to have Berkley baits back in my tackle bag!
The rest is just blah, blah, blah that can't be proven.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
well, for me, Berkley baits have never left my tackle bag.....I still don't believe that in any way, they ATTRACT more fish, but I do believe strongly that they will hold onto it longer.

Way back when in the Jurassic Age, when I was learning worm fishing, Berkley was a god-send to me until I learned how to properly detect the bite, giving me more error time.

in today's age of super sensitive rods, and braided line, the pickup is easier to detect, and another factor, yellow braid, makes it much easier for these tired eyes to see line movement in the water, so max or super scented, or whatever, isn't as critical BUT, my feeling is: IT DOESN'T HURT.....

as you well know, FRANK, even Johnny Bearpaw added scent to his custom plastics...again, doesn't hurt.

·
Administrator
21,683 Posts
of course, as we veterans all know, proper hook up is a complicated mixture of balancing various elements: line size and type, in relation to hook size and type, in relation to weight used, etc. and so on.....

on some days, utterly forgiving, and on others utterly picky and humbling.....

·
Crass Angler
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much did you get paid to write that article? To me it looks like an advertisement especially after reading the final statement:

The rest is just blah, blah, blah that can't be proven.
Absolutely nothing. Why are you such an ass?

·
angler
2,275 Posts
JF, You mean to tell me you're giving it away for free? You and some others on the site you moderate, hawk the same stuff for the same unproven reasons. I'm starting another thread that IMO is far more relevant as to why fish strike lures. Even you may learn something. Having made many of my own lures and caught fish on almost every style bait over many decades, I can safely state my conviction that a lure's success is based on far more things than scent or what a lure looks like to a fish of any species that bite lures. and I have photos to prove it!

Here's some more of the same logic that you maintain support the reasons those lures are the cream of fishing lures.

even though I caught my personal best largemouth bass on a 10-inch Power Worm.
So what.
fish love it.
ooookay.

I can’t say if I caught 45 percent more fish as the package claims, but these lures produce more bites.
For you maybe (or so you say...)

MaxScent baits seem more durable than other scented soft-plastic lures that I’ve fished
Maybe you should try pouring your own plastics like Bear Paw and I do. Plastisol has come a long way since both of us started making our own over 10 years ago. Scent is in the nose of the beholder. If it works for you, great, though I would guess you are in the minority that believe scent matters.

start using lures that demand more “feel,” such as jigs and Texas rigged soft-plastics
I use ultra light lures with long distance casts and much of the time have no problem feeling light strikes. The only lure I ever had a bass hang on to was a Senko that started going sideways in the water as I was eating a sandwich. No scents or nonscents if you will.

To your credit (and I have no idea your standings in past tournaments), I would suggest that any success you may of had, had nothing to do with the BS in the article (ad) and everything to do with finding fish, using the right lures (of many types and brands) with the right presentations and other tackle related factors. I've fished with NYBASS members and our success was due to just those reasons.

·
Crass Angler
9,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! said:
Exactly.

I agree max scent is awesome stuff..and gulp absolutely works..for smallies mostly
The funny part is that the only smallie I caught while I was testing baits, was caught on a Bandit Rack-It square bill. Nothing beats Gulp! Alive leeches in the big lake on a drop shot.

Its almost as good as venom baits ))
Nothing is better than Venom Tubes.

Nice write up, John.
Thanks Ronnie.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Dang, I haven’t been here and months and I come back, only to see that Senko Sam is still arguing with people because he “knows best”.

I keep dozens of pit boss’s on my boat, all year long. I have used many beaver style baits for Texas rigged flipping, and the pit boss has earned a permanent spot on a road I keep on deck, 100% of the time.

I picked up some max scent pit boss’s to give them a shot. I got them late in the season when that Texas rugged bite was starting to die down, but it seems like they would hold onto the bait a tad bit longer.

·
angler
2,275 Posts
I haven’t been here and months and I come back
Doubt you were missed.

Experience talks, bullshit walks. I call it like I see it.
Berkley's YouTube video claims the Pit Boss mimics bait fish and crawfish; perfect size to match most common forage sizes.

Crap generalizations like that got old years ago and it's amazing that many still want to believe the hype including that of SS and another clown that used to post nonsense but is no longer around. Save it for Bass Resource.

Better anglers can make many lures work better than most because of skill - not magic. Now, if Marty or Ronnie say the lure is superior to others like it, I'll take their word as fact, but not for the idiotic reasons Berkley or Franko advertise. I'm not from Missouri, but show me anyway, meaning, the proof is in underwater videos in the wild and statistics kept over many outings by good anglers such as those mentioned. That's my opinion until I see proof that contradicts it.

But if a lure demonstrates good action, like that I saw on YouTube just now of the Pit Boss, that alone would be reason to buy & try. Shape, action, size, versatility - priorities above all else including window dressing.

But I'm sure you know best..................

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
If you really want to sit here and argue about plastics, I feel bad for you because you must live one hell of a boring life. I don’t need to sit here and prove anything. I have proven enough here. If you have never actually used a pit boss then you will not have a clue that it has a unique kicking action as it falls. This is a great trigger to strikes, as its falling. Many bites come on the fall with this bait, or shortly after it has hit bottom.

Don’t sit here and insult me. You don’t know me, and it’s better to keep it that way.

Merry Christmas, grinch.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts