The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Spent the holiday in PA with the family and got a chance to go fishing on a real bass boat on Beltzville Lake through my brother's friend. Little did I know, blasting around in on a 150HP motor was going to be the highlight of the trip.

All three anglers on the boat got skunked. It was hot, muggy, and downright nasty. Due to complications, didn't get out until around 9AM and fished some points, weed edges, deep dropoffs but no dice. I used plastic worms, live minnows, plastic grubs, swimmin shads, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, even worms. Talked to a few other guys, one also got skunked and another caught two smallies near the dam in four hours of fishing. I've heard it's a hard lake to fish so I had my expectations low, but this was pretty bad.

Another highlight was I got to be on a boat and see a fishfinder do it's thing. We located some fish but couldn't get anything to bite. Most were in about 10-15 FOW. Water was stained, don't remember the temp. One kind of weird thing was my brother's buddy took us to the deep end where he has had luck before and we pulled right up to three massive concrete towers that would seem to be part of the Dam controlhouse and the fishfinder started going nuts. I had him take a picture because I was frantically tying on a drop shot setup to get down the 90ft to the bottom. The pic turned out pretty bad but I can tell you there must have been over 100 fish on the finder at various depths. None of us could connect. We started to think it was a malfunction because he said he's seen it happen there before. Then we saw a fish jump about 20 yards away from us and we just scratched our heads.

Oh well.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If there is alot of silt in the water from rain etc. or just dirty water you can see that on a fish finder. Down 90ft there is probably no oxygen content and water very cold to support life. Especially since you were by the dam any water flow towards it will bring in silt or dying decaying vegitation and it will show up as you seen. Encountered the same thing at Monksville by the dam due to turbidity.
SteveA

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Definitely have to turn off the "Fish I.D" - That features just makes assumptions based on the return of the echo or ping, it will then show a fish on the screen, it may or may not be an actual fish. Without that feature off its impossible to tell, what it is. With the feature off, you'll see either Fish Arches or Little dots, indicating bait fish. 90 Feet is a common depth for lake trout in the summer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My wife an I fish there often.....whenever we feel the need to be humbled.
We use black Sencos wacky and T-rigged.
We usually hook up with some nice LM; not a lot, but some nice ones.
We haven't been able to much with deep water. Most action is in the weeds.
Last time out I was trying to come up on a weed edge from deeper water. The weed edge started in about 9' of water. I was still out in 12' depth with a moon scape bottom when I hooked up with a heavy fish. What a surprise.
I had my hand on it at boat side when it slipped off. Guessing that it was 3 to 4 pounds.
This is definitely a hard lake to fish. It gets pounded hard.
I heard of people getting SM at the damn. I tried a couple of times, but not doing something right since no bites at all.
I would like to figure that out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Probably won't be going there too often since most people seem to struggle there. Oddly enough, I just picked up some black senkos (I was using green watermelon)

I saw that Lake Nockamixon was nearby so I might try there, you ever been there?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nockamixon is definitely a better fishing lake than is Beltzville but there are fish to be caught in Beltzville. I've been successful using TX rigged finesse worms along weed edges and along the south shore near the damn. 10 - 15 FOW is typically where I have success. 8 lb test is the max you want to be using.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very nice fish are pulled out of the Nock. Again, it will be a 1 to 3 fish day. It too gets pounded hard and weekends are insane. Some guys know the lake and do well, but it is not a 'chuck N chance it' place.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'd have to disagree with the following statement "8 lb test is the max you want to be using" - I find that's too light for jig and texas worm if you want to hook up and not lose fish, just my opinion.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My opinion is that on Beltzville 8 lb test is the max I recommend as the water can be very clear. The lake isn't what it used to be but seeing to 15 feet used to be the norm, now there are enough homes (septic systems) in the watershed it can get some color in the summer but I do best on finesse worms. Jigs would be a good option when fishing at night and you could go with heavier line. I've seen some big bags from night tournaments but they aren't for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts