The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Avon Angler's had their last event of the year today on Conesus Lake. Although the weather was better than last week, only 8 boats showed up for the sub freezing launch temperatures today. My dad and I are on a streak fishing together, so we paired up again.

The winds were nearly calm today, and the waters seemed to have cleared a bit from last week as well, making for slightly tougher fishing conditions. We basically worked over the same areas as last week with tubes and ended up with 10 keeper smallies for the day, and the smallest was between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 pounds.

At the scales, we weighed a 4.21 for lunker (but it wasn't enough) and had a total weight of 20.10 pounds for our five smallies. How is that for "cookie cutter" fish!

We were leading for a moment, but another team weighed a bag of mostly largemouth (4 LMB and 1 SMB) for a total of 20.30 pounds. They also had lunker at 5.06 pounds. Dang, we dropped to second place. Oh wait, Seth and Charlie are weighing in a sack now, and they have a big largemouth to!!! (4.8 pounds I think, to go with 4 other nice smallies) and a total of 20.29 pounds. That's right 1/100th from first place!! Wow, our second 20+ pound bag in as many weeks and today it is only good for 3rd place. Is this a fishery or what!

Oddly enough, the winning team reported to the crowd that most of the largemouth were caught on crankbaits (did you hear that Huge!) I thought about it during the day, but come on, how can ANYTHING beat tubes this time of year??? But like Earthy said in another post, "no matter how good you think your doing with one thing, something else could be better" or something like that. It was true today.

My dad and I have now fished five open tournaments together this year, and have cashed all five times.

Great job Seth and Charlie!

·
Big Blue
1,810 Posts
wow....

Got my motor running....heading up the highway...looking for those smallies, but those largies are sure ok.... I'm gonna hum Steppenwolf all the way up there..lol

20 + pounds and you finished third...incredible. Catch a 20 pound bag down here and they write poems about you. Didnt make it up your way this year, but wild horses couldnt keep me from going this year.

Gonna get me a 20 pound bag too.....hum-de-dum-de-do... I believe I need a sedative. Hey Noel, how many 20 pound bags did you catch this year?

Damn!!!!

·
Wishin' I Was Fishin'
1,083 Posts
Bombed!!

Did the rest of the field do well?
Well, out of the 8 teams, I guess we did the worst, except for one team that only weighed 3 fish. We had all smallmouth for a dismal 12+ pounds. It is by far, the worst day I've ever had on Conesus, this time of year. We did well just to have a limit of 5 fish to weigh in.

We fished the same area as last weekend. It started off o.k., with a good bite, right off. I don't think the tube ever got to the bottom and the line jumped and took off. I set, had him for a second, but he shook off. On the very next cast, the same senario. This one I stuck good, only to see a nice 4+ smallie break me off at the boat.:mad: We picked up a couple decent fish, and then it shut down. We really struggled after that.

Oh well, I'll just get my revenge on Lake Erie next Saturday!:D

Congrats to Seth & Charlie, Noel & Larry!!:beerchug:

C'ya on the water,
Ted

·
LM BASS
2,591 Posts
All I can say is WOW. Brown is Beautiful. And big brown is more beautiful.
Gary

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice job Noel and Larry, and Seth and Charlie, and Ted and Andy....

So Ted, you said it was the worst day for you at Conesus, EVER, at this time of year. I hate to bring it up, but do you remember last year when you and I fished together?:D

How lucky are we, 20 plus pound bags are so common this time of year, that you can still be out of the top three at times?!

·
Wishin' I Was Fishin'
1,083 Posts
Meg,

I really can't remember........ was that a tournament? I thought we were just out fishing. MMmmmmm, it really sucks getting old!:eek: Can't remember from one day to the next!

Let me stand corrected then..... It's one of the worst day's I've had on Conesus, this time of year, in quite some time.;)

C'ya on the water,
Ted

·
Registered
242 Posts
It was a fun day for sure! We started out kind of slow, only a 3-11 for the first hour. The second hour things picked up and we finished our limit. We had about 15 lbs for our first 5, and culled our way up to 20.29. We each lost 1 fish....being so close, it would not have taken much to push us over the top. We had a little 3-6 we could not get rid of and that killed us. We had 4 smallies and 1 largie, all from dragging tubes in 21' of water.

Congrats to Ken and Todd for the win! Also nice job Noel and Larry....we were all seperated by 0.30 lbs!

Seth V

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We each lost 1 fish....being so close, it would not have taken much to push us over the top.
Yeah, we lost several. I lost 4 or 5 alone. Mainly setting the hook, feeling the weight, and then they come undone. I didn't get a single "second chance" on any of them. The past weeks they would come back one or two more times to strike, but it was only one hit this time. Either you hook them or you don't. My dad had something pretty good on for some time until the tube pulled free. We assumed it was a pike the way it was racing around, but after seeing those big largies at the weigh-in, I'm not so sure. Sometimes big largemouth act like pike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.