The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean when the reel screeches at the end of the cast? Happening in both my Lew's BB1 and Curado3.... Is it the 70lb braided line? Only thing I can think of since they both had it on. Now only the Curado has it and the BB1 got a fresh 150 yards of 30lb Samurai.

Thanks in advance

·
Multi-Species Angler
207 Posts
You need to service your reels !!! Bearings are dry....Nothing to do with the line.

Give them to me and I will take care of them...Or better yet, bring over a 12 pack and I will show you how to do it yourself....;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Shimano published a fantastic series of videos on servicing your reels. The guy makes it look easy, but the truth is that once you've done it a couple of times it is! Your problem may also be a dry / dirty brake case. No reason why even a moderately priced reel shouldn't last at least several seasons with just a little TLC.

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shimano published a fantastic series of videos on servicing your reels. The guy makes it look easy, but the truth is that once you've done it a couple of times it is! Your problem may also be a dry / dirty brake case. No reason why even a moderately priced reel shouldn't last at least several seasons with just a little TLC.

I watched all 7 parts of the series. also found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwXDkTV9L2Q
Now that the sound was identified, it can be worked on. the Lews BB1 is only 3 moths old so I thought it was a defect at first.
Thank you all for the help!

·
Registered
220 Posts
There are specially treated bearings that allow several minutes of free spool. There's a guy out in Cali that does tons of conventional reel repairs and he first introduced me to these bearings treated in this type of oil. Look him up if you're seriously interested. Alan Tani.

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just think of the size of the backlash you could cause with that! Lol

Just kidding Ant I know you got good with your BCs
lol thanks Jay! I can't whip it like you just yet but I practice every day and night! 1 brake on and I rarely get any backlash at all :)**

** until I install these Orange Label ABEC7 Boca Bearings >:)

·
Life is good !
3,757 Posts
Never had to send out 3 BC 6 Spinn reels (Shimano) over 5 years SIMPLE yearly cleaning

·
Registered
388 Posts
A free spinning spool makes casting easier and thus more accurate. Casting distance can be gained but is a distant second as far as advantages go. A lot of potential gain depends on casting ability. There is also a point of diminishing returns. The bait will only fly as far and fast as the rod can load and propel it regardless of how long the spool will spin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.