The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mini Bass Miner
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience w/BPS reel maintenance? Have been thinking of sending five or six reels to have them cleaned, lubed and have some faulty parts replaced.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Both members here jfrancho and Jighead61 do maintenance/cleaning on reels. Might want to try them. Ronnie (Jighead61) cleaned a bunch of mine a few years ago before I started doing my own and I was very happy with his work, and I've heard the same about jfrancho's work as well.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've never had BPS clean my reels, but they have gone out of their way multiple times to find parts and pieces i have wanted over the years. Sometimes they have not even charged me.

·
Mini Bass Miner
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks! The reels in question are an Abu Garcia SM baitcaster, Pro Qualifier baitcaster and spinning reels, and two Diawa Procaster PR-1 baitcasters. I've had these reels for 15+ years and if I had the money I'd buy new reels, but am hoping a cleaning will get a couple more years of life out of them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nothing wrong with some old trusty reels. Take care of them and they will last you a lifetime. I still have a Abu Garcia 5000 from the 50's that was passed from my Grandfather to my Dad and then to me. It works and looks great to this day.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Jeff said it great... I've used the BPS service long ago and was not impressed. get on the net and give it a whirl yourself. I got some old Daiwas I use frequently that "reel" guys are impressed with...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Never used BPS, I do most of my own work but if I need to have something done I send it to Pro Reel in Kansas. Now that I;m on this board I see JFranco does reel work. he lives near me so I may have to try him out.
Rodney

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
most any LOCAL tackle shop should be able to help you out - or put you in-touch with who they use - or might have a card on the wall! - it might be a couple of $'s more BUT you save on shipping AND THEN have a go-to guy whenever! - and they will tell you what maintenance you need to do yearly! - there are still a lot of old timers out there that love working on reels!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts