The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I haven't been around these forums for very long, but I just figured I'd share with you guys the events of this past weekend here in Western New York. My family owns land down in Great Valley, NY, and it is a great location close to quite few lakes and creeks. Rushford Lake, Harwood Lake, Cuba Lake, the Allegany River and Reservoir, Ishchua Creek, etc are all within a half-hour radius from my location there. Anyway, started in the creek behind our land. Using ultralight tackle, the resident Brook Trout always provide a nice fight. This is a small one I caught sitting on our makeshift fishing platform LOL:

So, after a while we went to another nearby small lake called Clear Lake, in which my brother's GF's family owns some land. After a bit of looking around the lake to see what was going on, I tied a Senko on the baitcaster (Abu Garcia Silver Max) and #4 hook and slip bobber on the spinning rod (Pflueger President 6935). Dropped the Senko and almost immediately, got hit hard by this nice 4lber:

After a few more unsuccessful casts and the weather getting hot, I went to the Pflueger and caught a couple of bluegills. Then, I got another hit from a bluegill and as I was reelin it in, my line got REALLY heavy for like a second, then lightened up and sped up. I saw the hooked bluegill being chased by a huge largemouth, so I slowed down and the bass inhaled the bluegill, so I set the hook HARD!! Gave me a helluva fight, even had to adjust my drag a couple of times. Finally got her in, measured and weighed quickly. 6.83 lb post-spawn female:

Pic does it no justice, just know that my arm was completely extended. Funny thing is, during the fight the bluegill managed to get away and swim off LOL.

After we left Clear Lake, I went to the neighbor's pond for some small bass fishing on ultralight tackle. They put up a good battle when using ultralight and 'crawlers. Just a couple here for ya:

The next generation LOL:

...and a couple of healthy fish to end the night:

Overall, it was a productive day. Nothing crazy or overly huge, and the hot weather put a damper on things big time, but it was a good one nonetheless. I hope none of these pics are too big as I am writing this post from my phone LOL. But, in any way, I hope you all enjoy and I will post more reports as they happen. If anyone has any questions about anywhere in WNY, feel free to ask as I fish just about the whole area!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I remember many moons ago on Harwood Lake, if you had a bite it was a trout, nothing else was in that lake. Growing up I fished with my dad at Case Lake, Harwood Lake, Crystal Lake, Timber and Rainbow Lakes via canoe. Growing up in Delavan you had pleny of streams to fish, Elton creek was right in the back yard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes, Harwood Lake has changed over the years. They still stock it with trout, but have stopped managing it as a cold-water fishery due to its location. Warm-water species thrive there now. It's actually kind of strange to fish there in May for instance and catch a Brown Trout and a Largemouth in the same water LOL. Most of the trout that are stocked there eventually make their way up the channel into Ishchua Creek.
I have fished all the lakes you mentioned, and the same thing that goes on at Harwood Lake applies to Case Lake as well. All are still very well maintained and hold some very good numbers of sizable bass. And yes, I am very familiar with Elton Creek ;) You should come back around the area at some point and check out the way some things have changes on your old stomping grounds!

·
Registered
208 Posts
My wife's side of the family is from Olean, so I make it out that way fairly often. I always bring the fishing stuff. I've had some nice smallmouth action behind St Bonaventure on the Allegany. The bodies of water in and around State Park also deserve a mention..... I've got some pike and panfish just casting from shore at Cuba. I was a little put off by how crowded that lake is in terms of houses/camps. Seems every linear inch has something built on it! In all, the "Enchanted Mountains" is a very nice area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I hear ya Rich. Three of the larger lakes in the area -Cuba, Rushford, and Lime Lake- are all also popular with recreational boaters, making fishing during the day miserable to downright impossible at times. Those lakes I fish in the very early morning or at night during the warmer months, with Rushford Lake really standing out as far as the Walleye bite goes at night. You get some decent fish there using twister tail grubs and swimbaits, and the average size is just over legal limit (about 15-16"), but they provide great action for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.