The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
HardCore
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I posted this last night, but I don't see it anywhere. So here it goes again.

A cloudy day with a 20 degree temperature drop from the previous two weeks of hot and sunny represents a major change in the fish’s world. It’s going to make something happen. Might be something good, might be something awful, but the fish are going to react to that drastic change, one way or another.

When Jim & I decided to try to unlock that puzzle at Bantam, we knew that temperature change would be accompanied by a stiff breeze. But we didn’t expect the kind of wind we faced when we got to the lake at 6:30 in the morning.

I had three spots that I expected (hoped?) would hold some active fish.

All three of them were right in the teeth of a nasty north wind.

Sigh.

First spot. Jim put an Ozmo next to a dock and got us started quick with a decent largemouth. I took a small keeper smallmouth off a rock pile on an Ozmo a short time later.

Ran to the 2nd spot and came up empty. The third spot was offshore, and looked pretty hopeless in the 20-25 mph winds. Yeah, I could have fished it, but I do this for fun, and that just didn’t look like fun.

Went back to the starting spot and decided to work it a little deeper. To be effective deeper, I went with the big jig. It payed off nicely with a 5-1/2 pound bass.

We worked the point a little harder, but I found myself thinking about backup spots that might be protected from the wind. In my mind, none of them held the potential that the prime spots I wanted to fish offered, and the only reason I was considering them was to get the hell out of that cold wind.

Better idea.

Lets move to a lake where the prime water isn’t directly exposed to that North by Northeast wind.

So, it was back to the trailer, and off to East Twin.

The move worked out great.

For Jim.

Not so great for me, but as long as I put us on big fish, I figure I’m having a successful day.

Even if I’m not the one catching them.

And I'm going to keep saying that until I really believe it.

Oh, I caught fish all right. More than Jim, actually. But he was hammering the big girls on the big jig, while I couldn’t get bit on it, and had to settle for their little brothers on a drop shot. Bear in mind that I'm the one who got him fishing the heavy, overdressed jig in the first place.

Jim got a 5-11, then broke one off at the boat that might’ve been a hair smaller. Then he got a 4-12, and later a 4 pounder. All on the big jig. All on my best lunker spot in East Twin. Meanwhile, my jig went untouched and my drop shot offered a parade of 12 inch bass with the occasional 13 to 14 incher tossed in for variety.

To add insult to injury, when I hit a last minute spot on the way in, he first-casted a 2 pounder while I was still putting the electric motor in the water. Buddies. That's what they're for.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You certainly know how to find the big girls during the dog days of summer....Another great report.......just ordered what we were talking about a few days ago....Thanks again Rich.....

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Nice fish! I would guess that your buddy Jim was glad that you took him to the lake that you don't like to fish, you were probably lost with the milfoil but you still remember your lunker spot, nice job.

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
Great report and trip Rich... I really do need to put on my big boy pants and work on finding that deep jig bite.

Nice outing.. even if your buddy was doing the catching. You still got a big fish on the trip though. Obviously you were around them good!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.