The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I haven't posted sooner. Lanuched from the car-top launch. You can get a smaller boat in there off a trailer, but you really have to work for it. I'm talking about jons or rowboats here. Nothing too big. 24 LMBs and 1 huge yellow perch caught on tiny crankbaits and 1/16 oz. spinnerbait and 1/16 oz. M/M jigs. Found most of them around the docks and drop offs. Had the place to myself for a while, then a few bass boats came out. One from the lanuch at the resturant, the rest were locals. Called it a day. Caught some nice bass here before, but never anything over 3lbs. puddlejumper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:confused: :confused:

Where is this Ballston Lake???Heard plenty about it,but have no idea where it is.I'm guessing it is somewhere in the southern tier,like maybe around Chenango,or Norwich.Am I close?
Looking for new places to fish and camp next year.(never too early to start)lol.
Thanks for any info,
Tight Lines
ScottyB

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ballston is a nice lake a few miles south of Saratoga (between Exits 11 & 12 on the Northway).

The problem is access to the lake.

There is a car top launch as noted by puddlejumper.

But the only other access appears to be a private ramp owned by the Restaurant called Good Times.

Nice people and pretty good food.

The problem is that the ramp is only open when the restaurant is open (around noon).

It’s locked at other times and they seem unwilling to let you launch when they are not around.

The weird thing about this lake is that on most maps it looks like a small dot, but it’s much bigger.

It’s also listed as being 316 acres, but again I think it’s much bigger.

Fish-Eye…

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, its deep.

Very deep for its size. Had good luck at Ballston this year, and at Round. Bigger bass came from Round. All were LMB's. puddle.

·
Wishin' I'm Fishin'
18,645 Posts
Thanks for the info on this water.
I have heard of it many times, but did not know anything about it. Is it very weedy, or is it very deep and rocky?
Largemouths only, or does it have SMs too?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ballston.

Nice shoreline to fish. It is a really nice lake. It is deep, for its size. And it appears to be bigger than 316 surface arces. I would not say it was very rocky or weedy, although of course there are some places that are. I target the nice shoreline vegitation, small buzz bait or spinnerbait, I cast to boat docks and visable cover with small crankbaits and small jigs. My spinnerbaits were made by Earthworm a few years ago, in 1/16 oz. size. I don't think he makes these colors anymore. I fish them on 4lbs. Fireline. My jigs are also made by Earthworm, both old and new ones in 1/16oz size, with pumpkinseed, junebug and smoke black the colors of the old, and the new hot color for me is black/red flecks. I've had good luck with slighly trimmed Berkley Bungee power worm and leach trailers in black with this jig. The trailers that come with the baits are good too, but after a while the fish tear them up. I had been fishing these on Spiderline Fusion in 10lbs this year. All of the bass I ever caught here were LMB's, with no trophy size fish to brag about, but good numbers of fish caught. puddlejumper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I lived around ballston lake for 17yrs. and frequent the are each year if possible and have fished the lake everytime I can. The lake can produce quality LM bas and also SM. The largest Lm I have caught is a 6.5lber and my friend who lives there caught one just over 7. Not a lake that gets alot of pressure other than locals and recreational boaters and skiers. I love to fish there and have many pictures witch I will post later. There is a small stream that runs into the lake, when it rains you can sit ther all day long and catch huge numbers of bass not to mention sized. If you want to get on the lake prior to the opening of Good Times you can obtain a key that they will allow you to keep through the season.

·
Registered
1 Posts
basscash said:
I lived around ballston lake for 17yrs. and frequent the are each year if possible and have fished the lake everytime I can. The lake can produce quality LM bas and also SM. The largest Lm I have caught is a 6.5lber and my friend who lives there caught one just over 7. Not a lake that gets alot of pressure other than locals and recreational boaters and skiers. I love to fish there and have many pictures witch I will post later. There is a small stream that runs into the lake, when it rains you can sit ther all day long and catch huge numbers of bass not to mention sized. If you want to get on the lake prior to the opening of Good Times you can obtain a key that they will allow you to keep through the season.

Hey Basscash let`s see that 6.5#er picture.Better yet the 7#er.
MG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ballston Lake

When you go to fish Ballston Lake next summer mybe you will snag my $ 150.00 rod & reel that sliped out of my hand when
I was casting. besides my lost I had a good time fishing there
caught a 4lb. SMB & a 5lb. LMB

poleman

ps take a kid fishing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts