The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Amateur Angler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone mentioned to me earlier that in some states baby bluegills are illegal to use as bait.

I was wondering if NY has this law.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There aren't a lot of livebait guys here...We are mostly artificials here...

But anyway, to try and answer your question, I dont think there are any size limits or quantity limits as to how many bluegills or sunnies you can take in a day in NY...Therefore, I would "GUESS" that it should be ok to use them for bait if desired...I could be wrong...

The only caveat i would put on that is that, when subdivided, NY waters will have different rules/laws...I know that in most waters throughout NY and even the U.S., they dont allow any livebait of fish not indigenous to the body of water...Conservationists and Preservationists dont want to introduce foreign species that might negatively impact the ecosystem...I happen to agree...There are several exotics that have impacted some fisheries in the U.S...Thats why they dont let us use goldfish as a bait here in NY...Not because they are a "secret bait" that will unfairly catch em every time, but because we are inadvertantly introducing a foreign species to the water...The Bluegill thing may somehow get caught up in this law if you bring the bait-bluegills in from a different body of water than you are fishing...

Check with DEC first, and DEP if you are talking about NYC reservoir fishing...

I myself have used them on occasion...Trim the dorsal fin off first...

Mark D

·
Registered
769 Posts
Chris, I don't know for sure, but I think they're OK to use. The reason I say that is that the regulations booklet's only bait restriction that I've ever seen is that goldfish, carp and goby can't be used. So, based on what they don't say, I've been under the assumption that any fish legal to catch and keep is legal to be used as bait.

But I would do as Mark suggested and check with the DEC first, just to be safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In general, I think it is a bad idea to use live bait fish from another area in a lake or resertvoir. Who knows what diseases or parasites would be introduced to the local baitfish. I might be over cautious, but that is my 2 cents.

·
Amateur Angler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So all of you know......I plan on trapping in the erie canal (with a minnow trap).....and fishing them in the erie canal. So nothing new will be introduced anywheres.

·
Pro Guide
574 Posts
You NY State laws

Collecting Baitfish
Any person who has a fishing license or is entitled to fish without a license may collect baitfish for personal use (sale prohibited) as specified in the following table. Fish taken may be used only for bait in hook-and-line fishing. These are the only circumstances where the use of seines, traps, cast nets, and gill nets are permitted unless a commercial license has been obtained. Possession of endangered or threatened fish species is prohibited.

Minnows, killifish, mudminnows, darters, sticklebacks, stonecats, smelt, alewives, suckers, and blueback herring are the only fish that may be taken.*

Note: Carp, goldfish or goby cannot be possessed or be used as bait at any time.

Carp and goldfish caught by angling may be possessed at any time in any number.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fishregs/fishregsextra.html

As for numbers: 50 per person per day is NY State law.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can use sunnies in ny as long as you catch them out of the same body of water you will be using them in! For example you CANT take bluegill out of your one an go to a diff body of water with them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts