The New York Bass Forums banner

Anybody been muskie fishing?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sluggo / NY 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anybody has been muskie fishing? If so, will the tactics that are used also work with tigers this time of year? There are alot of places around here that have tigers, and I'd like to try catching one. I've caught pike, but have never had the pleasure of battling a muskie (or a hybrid!). I was just wondering what the late season habits of muskies/ tigers are. I don't know much about them, but I'm always looking to expand my knowledge!:D ANy information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Alot!

Zach

#3 ·
Zach..Though I don't actually target muskie, I've caught quite a few while fishing for walleye on our local river (Susquehanna). The guys I know that do target them use much heavier gear than I do and steel leaders. I know that they troll quite fast for them using very large stick baits..like an F-18 Rapala. They just opened a new launch in Great Bend, PA, which is not too far of a drive for you. I'm told that this is a great muskie area. Actually, any area of the Susky is good for musky. I generally hook at least one on every outing..although I don't often land them! This time of year, as the water cools down, they become a bit lethargic..so you may want to slow down your presentation a bit..but you also have a much better chance of landing them when they don't make those half-mile runs! Hope this helps. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

#4 ·
Chris,
Last year, on IceShanty, I obtained some real good info about fishing for pike/ muskies in the Susquehanna. One area that I know consistantly produces is where the Chenango meets the Susky. Also, where Little Coconut Creek meets it is also supposed to be a good spot. This time of the year is the best time to catch them. I'm not sure why, but I think that it's a last feeding frenzy before winter. But that's just my theory.:p Next year I'll probably have a new boat, and I will definatly get down there and fish the river. If you're interested, maybe we can hook up and do some bass/walleye/ pike fishing. And of course, some muskie/ tiger fishing. Let me know what you think! Thanbks for the info! Good Fishing!

Zach

#5 ·
I never fish for the slimy things, but I did get a monster on Chautauqua dragging a tube for smallies in 22' of water. I got another big 'un in 8' of water on a carolina rig. Not sure if those patterns will help you! :D Chautauqua is infested with them!

Seth V

#6 ·
Seth,
I've heard some darn good things about Chautauqua. As far as the baits go, there was an article in In-Fisherman, by Doug Stange, and he was using oversized tubes to catch muskies. He was have darn good luck with it too! I've caught a pike on a T-rigged powerworm, but it was by accident. I imagine that a big 10 inch powerworm could entice a muskie to bite, and long as the conditions were right(hey, that rhymes:D :p ).

Zach

#7 ·
Seth is correct about Chautauqua..the lake is loaded with them. I don't fish it very often, but I think I've either landed or at least hooked a musky every time I've been there! We fished a walleye tourney there last year and had a 55 incher take a planer board under like a bobber! Too bad it wasn't a walleye! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.