The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in a previous thread that I occassionally splitshot a small (2.75") tube. However, I have had little luck with larger tubes. Granted I really have not tried it a whole heck of a lot. I remember seeing some guys from Texas state that their favorite carolina rig baits were Strike King Flippin' tubes and I was just curious if someone a little closer to home had any luck with something similar.
Thanks, ScottB

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Craig I have 3 100cts of Snakebite's smoke/gold tubes I bought 4 years ago that would be great for it. I also have a 100ct of ZOOM watermelon/gold mmmmm!

Thanks again, ScottB

·
Premium Member
8,124 Posts
Scott,
For clear water applications, I like to splitshot with a 2.75" Snoozer followed by a 3" Berkley Power Tube.

Ronnie

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have had some success with C-rigged tubes, but my own shortcomings made me move away from them. I found that I got good responses from the fish, but I was slow to set the hook with a C-rig in general, so I ended up with too many gut-hooked fish. I also found that I would forget to use a sweeping hook-set, and I broke off a fair number of fish on the hook set.

I used to vary the weight, and the size/color of the tube based on the conditions, but I liked using 4" tubes most of the time.

Noam

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ive only done the C-rig tube thing in a drift on a clear water lake...I used a thin walled Canyon tube (3 1/2 " I think) with a modified foam earplug stuffed up into the head...I drifted it with enough egg weight to stay down on bottom as the tube floated up overhead...I caught some nice smalies doing this in 20 - 35 ft...

For split shotting or mojo rigs, I would use a thicker walled tube as the leader is for the most part shorter and I am not looking to float the bait but just give it a tumbling action...Any variety of bubba tube should work for this...Wicked Tubes, Snoozers, Fat Ass Tubes, BPS Flipping, etc...And i also like the 2.75" Mizmos...

Tuberosity

Mark D

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Scott, Although some have mentioned thicker tubes, I feel tha a thin walled tube is necessary here simply because of the tiny hook you use for a splitshot or mojo rig. Much of the splitshoting I do sees the bait nose hooked.
This is a rig I use often in fact one I'm not so sure I really ever talk about. The thin tubes get crushed a little easier and are not hard to set the hook on. You will lose far less fish with a tube that collapses without too much pressure.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Craig, I appreciate your input and agree with you whole-heartedly about thinner walled tubes being better suited for this particular technique. I do a lot of nose hooking baits too, especially in places where there are decent densities of smb. I find that the smallies have a MUCH harder time throwing a GYCB (or similar) splitshot hook.
I might try the floating tube for carolina rigs though. I know I did well years ago with the old Riverside Air Fries, esp in chartreuse pepper and these floated really nice behind a carolina rig. I throw a LFT baby Ring Fry much more these days though. Again, maybe it is time to revert back to some "older" tactics. :)

Thanks to all who replied,
ScottB

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Scotto, take a look into the 3X baits. I'm going to put a few of them on a split shot rig this coming season, I can only picture what is going to happen!:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Craig, that is ZACTLY what I had been thinking. I have been surfing around the BFHP and ebay looking for a SWEET deal on a couple of bags of the centipedes. It sounds like it could be just the ticket, but I would think this would be more of a baitfish presentation being off the bottom and the only 3X color I would think fills the bill is chart pepper. I wish they had a smoke-n-blue, smoke-n-silver or even better SMOKE-N-GOLD in their lineup!!! I am definitely gonna give it a shot too though!!

THANKS, ScottB

P.S. Craig, I saw your rods for sale on the BFHP and looked below it at another post that I thought was you selling some jigs then I realized it was an ad by SOFTWORM!!! It isn't one in the same is it??!!! :D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Nope

Internal riged Tube Jig-head w/ wire weed guard.

MMMMMmmmmmmmm.

When the snagg'n get's bad, I switch to thin hooked jigs w/ PowerPro or t-rigged EWG w/ split shot shoved up the tubes arse.

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Ive never C-rigged tubes but I can see why it can be effective. I agree that thinner walled and lighter tubes can be the ticket.

Scott, I see you've used LFT Baby Fries. I cant catch fish on those things. Maybe a couple, but definitely, not a lot to have confidence in them . I gotta give them a chance more this season....

Joe

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
thats how I rig em Craig....and you're right...a ringed fry is something different....

Joe

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geez Joe and Craig, I thought I had kept ONE secret to myself!! I started using them for that a few years back when they first came out and a BUNCH of guys around here were throwing wacky rigged fries. I usually throw the watermelon/red or green pumpkin. The Magic Shad color Baby Ring Fry works well just rigged weedless as a soft jerk too. I have tried the actual LFT Magic Shad soft jerkbait, but have not done particularly well with that one.

ScottB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts