The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a few bass on an eastern Suffolk lake last weekend, but besides that the fishing has been fairly slow. Anyone having success on LI waters? Most lakes pretty weeded up. Heading out to Forge tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It has slowed down for me on Long Island. I'm getting fish, but I do get blanked here and there. Getting some small ones on 3" senkos. Getting some bigger ones on Swimbaits (Keitecks and Berkleys). a week or so ago I managed a 4 pounder on a Keitech, and a few 1s and 2s. But it has slowed down recently for me anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been getting beat up on the water the past couple weeks. I live near Twin Lakes in Wantagh and fish that most often but I made a trip to Hempstead Lake over the weekend and couldn't even get a bite there. Starting to think I'm doing something wrong. I worked black and chartreuse buzz baits in the morning, nothing. Switched to spinners just under the surface, nothing. Pulled out a few cranks and walked them across the bottom, nothing. I think you can get the point. What's been working for you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The last three days on (eastern) Long Island have been tough. The nearly cloudless skys are sending them deeper and in cover. The water has cooled of significantly and so have the bites. For the most part the challenge has not been finding the fish but has been the hook set timing. The bite is so much less aggressive than a few weeks ago. I had a couple of topwater explosions we all love but I believe they are spiting it out quicker than in the warmer water. Also, somewhat contradictory to the above comment about deeper waters and weed cover, the bite seems to be better in the warmer parts of the day like between 3-5pm as opposed the normal dusk dawn bite. Purple Purple Purple. Thats the color. Lizards and worms. The black senkos help with the short strikes but the time between those bits is excruciating. At least the purple colors keep the hope alive. The morning bite is mostly smalls so go in the earlier afternoon if possible. The pattern is tough right now but this tips are solid because I have been fishing non stop to get it in before the winter comes. Hope this helps. Anything more specific feel free to inbox me.

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
I concur is been rough pretty much all season. Hollow body frogs KILLED IT every where I went last year... Barley a bite no matter what lake I go to... I did change to a SK swim shad and managed to pick 2 little ones off with it. The 5.5 inch ones. I have been noticing my buddy doing well with a berkely small swim bait that looks like a pumpkin seed and has a chartruse tail.

Wonder if all these Hudds i bought will work right now... :D

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
Fall feed bag is on..sounds like you guys need to change things up a bit..reaction baits are starting to really produce.
everywhere?? lol....the whole ENTIRE Island, every single water, they are hitting reaction baits?

lol...

Wish I could say the same for our reservoirs up here: each one has it's own personality, water conditions, weed growth, etc....no matter how well they might be hitting reaction baits on one water, they might be married to the bottom on another....

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
everywhere?? lol....the whole ENTIRE Island, every single water, they are hitting reaction baits?

lol...

Wish I could say the same for our reservoirs up here: each one has it's own personality, water conditions, weed growth, etc....no matter how well they might be hitting reaction baits on one water, they might be married to the bottom on another....
QFT
I cover at least 10 different bodies of water and get 10 different results and bring 10 different set ups. Some are super thick weedy, some are crystal clear like a fish tank, dingy water, etc etc. Changing my approach every day and trying new things and techs where I am. This time last year I was catching 4 pounders every night. Starting to think it was all beginners luck lol!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Jigs! I have been nailing them All summer. Big fish, 90+ blue skys. War eagle nickel spinner baits in cotton candy also doing the trick. Always white grub trailer with 10-12 fluorocarbon leader. Also 10-12 fluorocarbon on swim jigs. Brush hogs also work in LI.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's been slow for me here on Long island. alll the favorite haunts are so weedy I don't know what lure to use for "reaction baits" but what ever it it is, they need to react within 3 or 4 cranks of the reel because after that..................weed city.

·
Registered
798 Posts

lol...

Fish my cranks off the bottom bounceing it off the cover creating a reaction strike..you need to adapt from lake to lake..but yes,I fished 4 different lakes in the last 5 days,& all fish reacted to my offerings.not the drawn out sloooow summertime bite..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fshed Forge SAturday for 3 small bass, all caught on a Rubber swimbait. Not a touch on anything else. I've never seen Forge this weeded up.

I'm with Anthony, last year I was catching many quality fish this time of year but this year not so much.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Forge is messed up for sure. Good thing about a kayak. I hit forge early and get the morning feeders and the slide across the road and hit the river all day and then back to the lake for evening. Worked well

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had a decent spring. Good size fish but the numbers are way down. I have noticed more and more Hispanics and Asians keeping a lot of panfish and bass. The summer has sucked big time.
My Spring was phenomenal, my best ever with many 3-4 pound fish and a few even larger. Then it seems like the beginning of summer the bite died. Wasn't even catching a bunch of dinks or pickeral like previous summers. I agree with RApala that way too many people are keeping the fish they catch. I believe this is really starting to impact Suffolk lakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.