The New York Bass Forums banner

Another graphite rod question...

4K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  earthworm77 
#1 ·
Can anyone please explain the difference between IM6, IM7, IM8 and the HMG classes of graphite rods?
I've seen IM6 rods for sale for as little as $20.00 and as high as $50 or $60. Does it matter?

Thanks as always...

Pugs

#27 ·
Odd Turn

Well, this thread certainly has taken an odd turn.

In any case, Atkins is the most restrictive in the first couple of weeks. After that, you have a little more latitude. Its definitely not for everyone, but if you haven't had success with dieting, especially with low-fat or low-calorie diets, then this is worth a look. As I said, my doctor does not think it is a good lifetime strategy for me, but also thinks that its OK while I'm losing weight. So, if you're interested, you certainly should check with your own doctor.

#28 ·
Im so sorry I ruined this guy's thread! LOL.....

anyway, a word about ATkins: yes, it will work, no it is not for everyone...

you see, your body is not just a fat burning furnace on that diet, it also begins to use Protein for energy too......the last thing anyone taking part in any sort of high level athletics would want is for their body to get into a protein burning mode for energy......

this is critical!!! if you go through a stretch and protein is not supplied, just where do you think your body will get it from? your own tissue....it will catabolize....big time.....

not unlike the wasting you see when people have cancer.......

dieting and preserving LEAN tissue at the same time is not easy, and certainly not served by the ATkins diet.....

#31 ·
If I missed it I apologize John, but I missed any reference to rod weight as a factor in using higher modulus blanks. As mentioned previously, higher modulus blanks are usually stiffer blanks allowing manufacturers to use less material in their blanks while maintaining the rod actions they want and allowing them to be lighter. I think these higher modulus blanks wouldn't be any more delicate than a lower modulus blank if they contained the same amount of blank material.

#33 ·
I agree with your point Craig, however, competition between companies can become pretty extreme. Lighter stiffer materials do transmit vibration better and casting characteristics are thought to be improved. The last decade has seen an increase in the length of rods that fishermen prefer as well as rod specialization. I think these two factors (along with the afore mentioned competition) have driven rod manufacturers toward higher modulus blanks. Most manufacturers have an assortment of different modulus blanks to accomodate a variety of technique needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.