The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please explain the difference between IM6, IM7, IM8 and the HMG classes of graphite rods?
I've seen IM6 rods for sale for as little as $20.00 and as high as $50 or $60. Does it matter?

Thanks as always...

Pugs

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sports Authority.
They had the Rapala Sportsmen Series rod for $20.00.

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
The higher the modulous rating, the more sensitive the rod is said to be. IM6 is old school now with the advent of IM8, and IMX technology. 20.00 is about right. I still see some of those rods going for close to 100.00 though. Check out the HM85 stuff. That is primo!

·
Wishin' I'm Fishin'
18,645 Posts
Pugs...
There are decent poles in MANY price ranges.....we all have different 'budgets', so try to find something that fits in yours.
I am NO pole expert, but have bought a few...LMAO,,. yeah, just a few I keep telling myself...lol
Today, often poles are made for specific applications by many manufacturers, and often one type of Graphite may be used for that application, for one reason or another as opposed to others. heck, some companies even make poles today for "crankng" in fiber-glass still, though considered a 'way-outdated' pole material by others, as some crankbaiters like the characteristics it gives .
Some today have a IM6 base, but a IM8 tip....all kind of poles out there today.
ALL rod companies say they are the best ones out there...for the money.
Bass Pro Shops offers many levels of rods for many different price ranges, and I must say I think they are a good value for thier prices, as I have Tourney Specials, Bionic Blades, and Extremes [three of their mid-priced graphite poles], and I like them all, especially for what I paid for each one of them. Often, they are on sale there, and I have taken advantage of those sales to get some deals. My poles range from IM6 to IM8....
Now, when constructing a pole, there is a resin that the graphite fibers are mixed into, and then the pole is formed. The amount of resin to graphite varies froom brand to brand, too beside the different Graphite particles. From what I have been told, IM6 is he heaviest blank rod, then IM7, then Im8....
The best advice I can offer is to try to figure out what you intend to use the pole for...and buy a pole to meet that need/application. Each technique calls for specific attributes in a pole, as well as sizes too. For Jerkbaiting, I use a much shorter pole than for casting Senkos, in example.... For froggin" , I want a much stiffer/thicker pole than for real light jigging, so hopefully, you can see one pole does not do it all well. Some techniques call for an 'almost broomstick', were others call for a light delicate stick....
Once you figure what you will be using the pole for mostly, post here, and I am sure some will help you in the right direction for that application based on their experiences and their level of insanity[lol].
So many factors come into play when buying a pole....
length, wieght of lures suggested, action[extra fast tip,fast tip, slow tip, broom handle{LOL}],and of course, hopefully you can find it in a price you can afford .

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
I'll tell you what though...I really do think there is a difference as you go up the ladder. I do like BPS rods. I swore by the Bionic Blades which are great IM8 rods. I switched over to the Extremes and feel they are even better but lack the models I need. Now I'm starting to use the Johnny Morris HM-85 and I think this is the best rod I've ever used. I just got my hands on a GY Loomis rod and I'll let you know how it compares.

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
e.w.,do you have the click lock reel seat or the spinning model?i was wondering how that click lock seat was?:beerchug:

·
8,124 Posts
Pugs said:
Can anyone please explain the difference between IM6, IM7, IM8 and the HMG classes of graphite rods?
Pugs,

The first thing you should know is there is no industry standard for IM6, IM7and IM8. Rather, it’s a “range” that manufacturers use to classify their rods according to the “modulus” content. Modulus is a term that describes the stiffness to weight ratio of the graphite that’s used to create the rod blank. Here’s how it works….when you cast a lure, the rod flexes with the weight of the lure, storing energy as it flexes. When the motion of the rod stops, the rod flexes and releases all of its stored energy to propel the lure. When you increase the modulus of the graphite, you increase the ability of that graphite to store and release energy. You also increase the speed that the rod releases the stored energy. That in turn, increases the lure speed that is generated in the cast. Increase the modulus and you increase the reaction speed and power of the rod blank.

Below is a general example of modulus ratings using G Loomis classes:
GLX - 65 million modulus
IMX - 55 million modulus
GL3 - 47 million modulus (IM8)
GL2 - 42 million modulus (IM7)
IM6 - 38 million modulus
Standard Graphite - 33 million modulus

Unfortunately, increased modulus results in increased costs. The highest modulus graphite material costs as much as ten times more than standard graphite. The drawback with increased modulus is the rod blank tends to be somewhat “brittle” and more likely to break from impact fracture, such as dropping the rod on a hard surface. If you tend be abusive with your gear, it would be wise to back away from the top modulus rods and choose something in the mid range that will offer more durability. Before you purchase a rod, especially the high priced, high modulus, be sure that it is backed by a lifetime warranty.

Good luck….

Ronnie

·
Registered
86 Posts
IM 6 is Good Enough

I don't think you need to look too far into the graphite rating...I have seen IM 10 rod that aint worth a shit but IM 6 rods that will "knock your socks off"...For instance, Sports Authority has a ton of Brand Name IM 7s and IM 8s that I wouldn't even use to "snake my drains"...So does K-mart for that matter...You have to look at the rod as a whole and consider the length, action, taper, etc...The graphite can be manipulated toward certain rod features when it is made into the blank...Thats why the same series of rods, made from the same material/graphite/composite, can exhibit so may diferent characteristics suitable to many fishing applications...The bottom line, all my good rods are IM 6 maybe one IM 7 and they do everything I ask them to and I don't think I am compromising too much...

Some of the premium rod companies have even divorced themselves completely from the common kind of IM graphite rating system, because they know it don't mean a thing until after the blank is designed and made ...They have gone so far as to create their own nomenclature to classify their blanks...For example, I think St Croix uses their own system...Sure, it easily crosses over to the IM classification system, but they seem to refrain from the generic marketing of a rod's characteristics based on materials...

Another tidbit for thought...Higher and higher modulus rods may not be all that great...There is a cutoff point somewhere...An overly sensitive rod is not always good for a number of reasons...With fishing applications aside, those higher modulus rods are more brittle...Thats the compromise...They are "without a doubt" more vulnerable to breakage and/or damage...The rod is actually weaker in my opinion and a nick or a good hit could break the rod easily...A friend of mine had one of those BPS IM 8 or IM 10 rods and I accidentally hit it with my rod, I think with one of my rod guides on a cast...That rod broke cleanly right at that spot...I replaced the rod for him, and in turn he gave me that one to fix for myself as a back-up...What a piece of shit...

Anyway, the chances are that if you saw an IM 6 rod for 20.00, it could be a discontinued series and it might be a deal on a good entry level rod...I don't think you found a super premium rod, but so what?...But there is also an equal chance that "if you buy a 20.00 fishing rod, you just bought a rod worth 20.00"...That last line sounded a little like a "Yogi-ism"...

Mark D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ronnie,

I didn't realize i was working on this post so long...I repeated some of your good points...I am at work, and as you know, work can be distracting when you are trying to post on Nybass (lol)...

mark d

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Mark: you brought out the best argument of all:

just because something says IM6 doesn't mean it is manufactured or made the same way.......

pick up an IM6 rod at a big dealer that carries a lot of gear, say a Shimano or any other good brand....and then pick up a LOOMIS IM6......all the difference in the world.......

the world should be so simple that you only have to give people the raw materials and then they could make something just as good as anyone else...

how about this analogy: get a recipe from your MOM, for , say, Lasagne or her favorite Pie.......follow it to the letter and then tell me that it tastes just as good as hers? LOL.......

·
Registered
86 Posts
John,

Don't get me started on Italian food, I am still on a diet...

To some people, The Olive Garden is like an "IM 10" Italian eatery lol !!!...

Mark D

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Mark: I have been on a diet for the last 3 weeks also, this is going to be a long one, extending all the way to this time next year....have to finally do something about the excess poundage.....problem is , with the way I lift, I simply cannot go on a low low calorie diet, so I have to be patient and content to do this thing over a very long haul.....I want to fine tune it to a point where I am only losing 1 pound a week......

·
Registered
86 Posts
LUNCH !!!

Yeah but lets not rule out those off-season lunches we have...

I have to indulge freely at least once a week...The problem is that my wife is too good of a cook and I overindulge, and all too frequently now...I put back on 10 lbs after losing close to 50...But I still only have one ass, and I hope not to re-grow that other one I was carrying around !!!...And my boats row a lot easier too...

John, did you notice how the Italians have turned this very technically informative fishing thread into a discussion about FOOD...What are we in the "Cooking Forum" ?

Salivating Mark D

·
8,124 Posts
JOHN G said:
how about this analogy: get a recipe from your MOM, for , say, Lasagne or her favorite Pie.......follow it to the letter and then tell me that it tastes just as good as hers? LOL.......
John,
You know what....I make a BETTER lasagna than my mother....my grandmother is another story !!! :D

Ronnie

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Ronnie: forget it altogether about topping my Grandmother's lasagne.....it was freakin' unreal!

yes, Mark, the Paisanos have taken over the board! LOL.....

·
1,252 Posts
The universal story. Things were always better when made by a grandmother. For instance my father's grandmother made unreal potato salad. He has been bugging his mother, his aunts and sisters and anyone that will listen for the recipe for 50 years now. Is it the type of potato, the mayo, or just taste buds that were different in youth?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts