The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another big um for Andrew

Well Sunday I brought Andrew out fishing to a lake I have access to - he called it a swamp! Its far from a swamp! It has everything a bass would want to have, coves, points and LOTS of wood. This lake has always been a very high numbers lake with a few big ones as well, however about 5 or 6 years ago the lake suffered badly from a bad winter freeze knocking off a large population of adult fish. The lake however has been rebounding with the average size now around 12" and we caught a bunch in the 12 to 15" range with a few bigger ones. We fished from 6:30 (overcast calm conditions to about 1 - high north winds and clear blue skies). After landing 20 or 30 fish I get to a stone wall and get three in a row from a jig with my biggest going 3.1 - for me this has been my biggest since the winter kill. However a very good sign of the future. We keep fishing along and the bite is picking up, Andrew is doing really well with rattle traps and spinnerbaits - I'm being more stubborn trying to force the jig bite & the fluke bite - the horny toad bite is just dead! (last time here just crushed em on this!).

We get up to a heavily stumped area and Andrew says I got a big one on a spinnerbait but its got me tangled up in this tree sitting in 6ft of open water. I move the boat over - the fish is still on - Andrew is trying everything to get the fish un-trapped, but she's still on but nothing is getting the fish free. He's thinking I've lost her and reaches into the water and grabs the tree - I grab it from him and pull it and then she comes free and Andrew lands her - she weighs 6.13.

Andrew says I now believe you told me there was some big ones here.

Now I want another big one and we make three more wind drifts through what has always been the prime side for larger ones - no more big ones but a bunch more quality fighters. All in all we easily caught 60+ with some big Crappie, Perch & even a few pickerel mixed in.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I didnt think big fish lived in that swamp but now i am forced to believe you. I do hafto say, that was the scariest way I have ever landed a big girl. How she didnt get off, or break my line is beyond me.

It was a fun outing for sure. I havent had bass thumb all year!

this is my 10th bass over 6lb's this season and we aren't even in the fall trend yet. This has been a good season so far.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is a nice little lake - that fishes big - yes Brian a few are left - maybe we'll get a chance to try this in the next month if my schedule free's up?

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.