The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To continue this story of some exceptional late season bass fishing in WNY, we were able to get out Saturday. On my way to the lake, I had second thoughts because the rain was really coming down in areas, although the temps were already in the 50's at daybreak.

Once at Seth house, the rain had dwindled. Shortly after, we saw Fred drive by on his way to the launch, then we followed him down. Rob pulled into the launch shortly after as well. We waited a little bit, not knowing exactly who is coming, then decided to hit the water. I hopped in with Fred, while Rob went with Seth.

Seth took off towards one of the better producing areas over the last few weeks. Fred and I picked a spot on the east side seeing the wind was in our favor for optimum drifting. Later in the day, that was supposed to change. It took a long while, but after an hour and a half or so, Fred got the first bite, and landed a nice little January bass out of 30+ feet of water. A picture was not taken, because Fred wanted to "wait for a better sized specimen". A couple more drifts proved to be unpoductive.

The water temp ws still exactly what is was last weekend. I would have guessed it went up a degree or two with the very mild weather we had, but all the areas we fished I was starring at 35.6 (or so, LOL!) degrees on the graph.

We then ventured over to the west side, I quickly caught my first January bass, another small one, but very dark colored. This one came out of 40 feet or so. About 15 minutes after that, I got another one, about 3 3/4 pounds out of 48 feet! Photo taken :D

Within a half hour or so, I caught the last one of the day, about 2+ pounds out of 44 feet. We visited a couple more areas, and had a bite or two more, but no more bass were landed.

We never got rained on all day, and at times when the sun finally came out, it got downright pleasant out there. Seth had 62 degrees on his thermometer when we got back to his house in the mid afternoon.

With the extrememly cold temps that are coming at us this next week, I would imagine this was our last time we wil hit the water (floating) this season. The lake is on the fringe of freezing, and it won't take much!!

I would like to thank Fred, Ted and Seth for letting me fish in their boats throughout this late season adventure on Conesus. It was a blast!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Nice fish wny !!!

Looks like you were able to steal another day out...Does this fish go on your 2003 or 2004 tally though ?...lol

And do i dare ask what that fish was biting on in such deep cold water ?...A tube perhaps?...lol

Mark D

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did forget to mention we were on Conesus. Doh!!! That probably goes without saying though :D

Yep, 3 1/2 inch tubes rigged on 1/4 or 3/8 ounce open hook heads, dragged on the bottom. Bites were sometimes "mushy" (or gooey like Seth likes to say) to nice aggressive hits.

·
Wishin' I Was Fishin'
1,083 Posts
wnybassman said:

I would like to thank Fred, Ted and Seth for letting me fish in their boats throughout this late season adventure on Conesus. It was a blast!!
You know you're ALWAYS welcome in my boat!:beerchug: And, our outing, last weekend was quite an ADVENTURE.:D

Great to see you guys got out one more time. Those Conesus smallies rarely disapoint!

I got my boat tucked in, over the weekend and it looks like the water will soon be hard, anyway. Great job guys!!

C'ya on the water,
Ted
:letusfish

·
8,124 Posts
Nice Job ! That is one sweeeeeet smallie !!!

Ronnie

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
says something about oxygen content in the depths, right!

great report as always!!

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
Nice going guys !!!!!!

·
Tinman
552 Posts
I'll second that. I had a great time out on the boat Saturday, and while the fishing was really tough, it was good catching up with Noel. Since he tourney fishes all year and I don't, we seldom run into each other during the season.

One little surprise Noel left out of his post was the fact that Seth's lovely wife Lora jumped in the boat and went fishing with us for the first few hours of the morning. While that's usually not a big deal, I should mention she's 8 1/2 months pregnant! Yikes!

Fred

·
LM BASS
2,588 Posts
Jan Bass

Noel,
Enough is enough already, You're making me nuts. Quit now. I cant take it any more. Cant wait till spring.
Gary

·
Dragging Bass
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
syrup? Did you make any this year?
Craig, the trees will be flowing sometime around the middle or end of February. Usually, you'd like to see quite abit of frost in the ground to spread the sap run over a longer period of time, and we have none in the ground right now.

I only made 2 1/2 gallons last year, but it was the best yet. Each year I am finding out better tips to the boiling process, as well as the filtering process. Just like everything I guess, the more you do it, the better you get.

·
It's been a long time...
899 Posts
wnybassman said:
Each year I am finding out better tips to the boiling process, as well as the filtering process.
You know it. The girlfriend and I just got a bottle from Noel as a gift. He said the syrup was "baby diaper filtered."

He just didn't tell me what condition the diaper was in before he poured the syrup through it. :eek:

Mmmm......mmmm........... :D

Tight Lines...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts