The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I got another crank bait setup question. i've been reading the posts and articles online, and i'm unsure of what to get.

I was thinking of a getting a 7ft rod. not clear if i should get the M or MH rod. Also not sure what kind of action i should be going for.

the cranks i currently have are square bills, 3.8 to 1.2oz. I'd love to get into deep cranking, but just never learned or had luck/confidence in it.

rods, that's i'm eyeing are the st croix avid or to save some money a shimano compre

I fish right over deeper weeds and some times off the banks where it drops.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Crankbait rod

For deep-divers, a long rod is better. You need to be able to cast the lure far so it will go deeper on the retrieve. Seven feet is on the short side. MH or H, with a M or M/F taper is suggested. Check the Powell, Lucky Craft or other crankbait rod descriptions at Tackle Warehouse. Composite or fiberglass is preferred by some, others like graphite. I bought the Rapsody, Crank It Up. It is a 7' 4", H/MF, fiberglass rod. Very stout. Very nice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I fish mostly for smallmouth so I like a 7 foot medium action rod or a little longer with M taper for every type of crankbait except very deep divers. For lures that dive 15 feet or more I use an MH rod. I really like the Compre crankbait rods. The TC4 material feels a bit like glass with more sensitivity.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm not sure if i'm looking for a deep crank rod. I'm comfortable with cranking in the 2- 8ft range. probably do some deep cranking once i get use to it more.

So is it that you go with an MH to H for deep cranking? and Medium for 15 and under? Sorry for the noob question, but I just started getting into cranks and using multiple rods.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My deep-crank rod is heavy. Many are medium heavy. I bought it for the deepest of divers. It is fiberglass. As for mediium-diving crankbaits, medium or medium heavy. I bet most here will suggest medium heavy. For squarebills, definitely medium heavy. Medium or medium fast is the way to go. Fiberglass, although heavier, provides a popular action. For traps and jerkbaits, where you are not necessarily banging and dragging over cover, medium fast is a good choice. Check-out Rapsody Rods. They have a new crankbait rod, ''Cranky".

I check St. Croix, Loomis and other company's that offer technique-specific rods, and try to get an idea about what power and taper I want/need

·
Premium Member
8,124 Posts
First and foremost, don't get too caught up in action/power ratings as this varies considerably among manufacturers since there is no industry standard for the ratings. Based on your criteria, the Dobyns Champion 705CB would be a great fit. You will not be dissapointed with this stick!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.