The New York Bass Forums banner

Adirondak fishing

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  largemouth 
#1 ·
Looking to shoot the bull with anyone who likes to hit the remote lakes for bass and pike. I am in constant search for fisheries bio. info, as well as lures and techniques. Been doing summer backpack/fish trips there for 19 years.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
adirondak reply

Hey- I have spents months looking for info online, that is why I am at NYbass. I always fish the North River area NW of Glens Falls, by the Hudson River gorge. The lakes have a good variety of depths, cover type, bottom type, and I always fish them in the summer. I am dying to know what baitfish are native (other than small panfish and gamefish). As a former fly tyer, I always try to match custom lures to the forage.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
hudson smallies

I have spent 10 or twelve days on the Hudson, but from shore. I fished the stretch where the road follows the river just below the gorge. Lots of 8in smallies, but I did get some nice 12-14in rainbows and browns. I fished spinners, rapalas, and muddler minnow streamers in July and Aug. I sure learned how to rock hop without breaking an ankle! How do you get bigger fish on the river?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
hudson jigging

Are there any reasonably priced canoe rental places that will drop off/ pick up? I guess I need to get off the bank. By the time mid-summer rolls around, and the water is lower, do they stick to pools? Or do you also hit eddies, and boulders? When it comes to rivers, I am a trout fisherman. They seem to select completely different holding and feeding lies. Any preference for jig type/size/colors and tackle?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
hudson smallies

So yamomoto makes the spider heads? And that is an open-hook design, not texas and no weekguard? I am building a med-lt spin rod now that I can use. Ever get a trout on that? Last year I accidentally caught a 19in rainbow on a slider worm while fishing for bass! The hudson does have some nice trout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.