The New York Bass Forums banner

Adirondak fishing

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  largemouth 
Check out this site

http://www.adirondacklakessurvey.org/choicepage.asp
Have you ever fished the Hudson from a canoe?
There is a great 8 mile easy water float trip from Warrensburg to 1000 Acre Dude Ranch. It's loaded with smallies. I go up to Lake George every year, fish the Lake, ponds, but the best fishing last year was on the Hudson. Yamamoto skirts, doube tail grubs on a 1/8 ounce Spider Jig Head was the ticket.

DEEP POOLS

The section I mention has a number of deep pools where you will find larger fish. I would say every 1/2 mile or so you come to a deep pool loaded with laydowns, bolders and ledges. Deeper water is the Key. The Eastern shore seems to have more pools, but of course the road runs on the West. August is when I fished there last year & we even saw a Bald Eagle trying his luck too. The jigs I use are bulkier then your spinners & that helps attract karger fish too. I would say the majority of smallies we caught were keepers but no real lunkers. The Delaware River for me usualy gives up some 3lb+ smallies.

Here is your link

http://www.beaverbrook.net/directions.html
The best stretch starts at Thuman Station & goes to the Dude ranch, 8 miles. Stay on the East side. I went early in the morning & once in the mid afternoon it made no difference. The fish were active all day. Light action rod, 6lb test, 1/8 ounce spider jig head yamamoto mini skirt 4 " double tail grub any green or brown color with black or red specks. Eddies & bolders hold fish too. My partner in the bow was casting down stream and jig the lure back to canoe. I was actualy just draging the lure behind the canoe just letting it bounce of the bottom (lazy man fishing). We both caught, but I think my method is more effective. The bass face up stream into the current & look for food being washed down stream.
Keeping your rod tip up will help you not getting snagged. The goods thing about the spider jig heads is that the hook is a light wired. If gets snagged many times it will free itself by straightening out & then you can just bend it back with a pair of plyers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.