The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Abu Garcia XLT 85-0 baitcast reel. I had a few issues with it. The spool wasn't free spooling which I fixed by cleaning the spool assembly and bearings. But now I have an issue I can't seem to figure out with the drag system and anti reverse dog. I have cleaned all the parts, put it back together. Before I tighten down the star drag, the reel seems to work fine. After I tighten down the star drag, add the handle, the reel won't engage and the anti reverse won't engage. If I do get it to engage briefly it slips. I'm lost here, anyone have any ideas?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DVT - I just looked at the schematic you linked to, and it is different than the schematic that came with reel (weird). I think it shows why I am having the problem I'm having. My schematic doesn't actually show the placement or direction of the anti reverse dog. Looks like I may have put it on backwards. Something I should have realized anyway. usually I snap a picture when I take the sideplate off to refer to when putting it back together, but I had to pop off the side plate cause it was stuck and it dislodged some of the pieces, including the dog. I'll look at it again tonight and see what happens. Thanks

· Registered
388 Posts
Those are tricky. They need to be greased where they grab the ratchet and the point of the dog opposite the hole points in the direction the ratchet turns. Hope that mankes sense, it's hard to explain. If you turn the gearshaft before installing the main gear you'll see right away if teh AR dog is backwards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.