The New York Bass Forums banner

A few hours chasing smallies

2K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  CrankBass'n 
#1 ·
This past Saturday I took my brother out on the St. Lawrence river looking for Smallies... to see if they are starting to school up for the cold water season. We fished from 15 feet to 55 feet all depths produced fish. I love the clean clear water of the St. Lawrence...you can see the fish 20 feet down watch them put thier head down and try to dog you to the bottom and any weeds or structure and then turn a 180 and head straight for the surface ...breaking the water like a polaris missle... shaking thier head trying to throw the hook.

We launched out of Morrisburg Ontario just as the sun was coming up

Drop shot was the tool of the day,working a drop shot in fast heavy current means a lot of trolling motor use. Mike was the first to hook up

in fact Mike landed a few before I had one that stayed pinned

I finnaly got one to stay pegged

We moved a few times too see if we could find bigger fish ..again we found fish almost every where... we also got a few of these in the 20 foot mark

Mike with a nice smallie ...not big but just a barrel of fun fighting from 40 feet down

We moved up river to Presscot Ontario passing under the international bridge

Passed the Canadian Coast Gaurd Station at Prescot

we had to dodge a few of these out there

from there we decied to sit back and take a lazt boat ride down the St.Lawrence ... beautiful body of water.

I was using a Shimano Crucial Drop shot Rod with a Stradic CI4 reel with 8 pound "P" Line Floro a home made drop shot weight, and using a variety baits... Gulp alive shad, K.O. Minnows, Senkos ..etc.

See less See more
#5 ·
Again with the World Class Smallie action from you northern guys, gotta get up there some day. Saw the Bass Master's Elite Series on ESPN from there, definitely some fatties and clear water, almost all the pros were using drop shots - So you were right on with your choice.

#15 ·
We caught a couple of dozen all about the same size... so we only took a few pictures. We wanted to get them back in the water ASAP so we wouldn't have any fatalities... fish coming up from those depths rarly survive in a livewells..

#19 ·
Steve...I would give those fish 4 to 5 years old, the water is cold and the current is unbelievable. there are a lot of bait fish, gobys being one of them.. Perch Sunfish, Shad, Crayfish are also part of thier diet.

#25 ·
Could verywell be Burnie... this bodie of water I fish a few times a year... even though its only 1/2 hour away from home. Its a very under utilized body of water for bass... most people fish Muskie or Walleyes. Carp are getting pretty popular in the past few years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.